Homemade Corned Beef & Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do my own and love it too! Its very simple to do. I prefer the Braunschweiger as its smoked.
+1 on the braunschweiger preference!

The smokiness helps offset what some consider the objectionable 'liver' taste.

Personally, I like both, but the smoked is an easier sell.

-Kevin

I like both!  Can't wait for your post on that!

The amount of liver does not turn off my taster in either direction.

Good luck and good smoking.

Did you toast your spices before coating them?  The book I have recommends it and was wondering if you have tried that.  I know they do it for Indian food.  

Beautiful Corned beef and Pastrami.  Pastrami is in my near future.  Corned beef is good but Pastrami is the BOMB!

Did you toast your spices before coating them?  The book I have recommends it and was wondering if you have tried that.  I know they do it for Indian food.  

Beautiful Corned beef and Pastrami.  Pastrami is in my near future.  Corned beef is good but Pastrami is the BOMB!
Yes, For the brine I toasted the seeds until the mustard seeds began to pop(!) and coarsely crushed them. Great fragrance. Did the same for the rub. Heating most whole spices has a real benefit, especially cumin seed and clove, and even fennel.

-Kevin

Love liverwurst.  Probably eat it on a sandwich twice a week and always have a couple store bought packages in the freezer.  I will never run out of Liverwurst.  Das ist gutes Zeug!

If you have a recipe, please share. 

yumm, me to, i would love to try to make my own, if someone is willing to share their recipe, and knowlege, although not too sure where i can get enough livers to make it.

Love liverwurst.  Probably eat it on a sandwich twice a week and always have a couple store bought packages in the freezer.  I will never run out of Liverwurst.  Das ist gutes Zeug!

yumm, me to, i would love to try to make my own, if someone is willing to share their recipe, and knowledge, although not too sure where i can get enough livers to make it.

Man that is some great looking Pastrami...you did way good ! Did you do a cold water soak when you took it out of the brine ??

Wonderful looking strami Kevin, I'm sure the Corned beef just as good or better!

Great pic's too
thumb1%20copy.gif

At the end of the six day brining period, I pulled the briskets and rinsed them well.

The 3 smaller 'corned' briskets I 'food-savered' for next month's St. Paddy's Day festivities....

6c220d02_briskt_cornedBeef.jpg

The remaining two biggies I gave a generous rub-down of coarsely cracked black pepper, coriander seed & mustard seed. Also mixed in a bit of turbinado sugar to the rub.

I let these dry for a bit before placing them into a pre-heated smoker:

a29d49c2_briskt_rubbed.jpg

At 140° I began giving the pastramis a good dose of hickory smoke. This continued for the next 90 minutes at 140.°

Following the smoke, I raised the temp to 200° & kept the meat cooking until the IT of 165° was reached. I then chilled the two in the refrigerator.

Smoke beginning to roll...

b747b0bf_briskt_smoke.jpg

Next day, I broke out the slicer and took the well-chilled pastramis out to begin the 'pre-packaging' process...

Good uniform color in the meat; a bit on the salty side, but after steaming some & applying mustard & kraut on a sandwich, the pastrami is quite good!

Ready to eat or be packaged up for later....

4a26825d_briskt_past_sliced.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

-Kevin

Ok, i am gonna try making some of that great looking  corn beef for myself, it is one of my favorite meals, I got me a nice looking 13 lb. brisket today, but can not seem to find any cure salts local, i know i can order online but thought maybe butcher shops would have some but not so far, maybe i am looking in wrong place? also after they are cured, about how long will they keep in the refrig if  I vac bag like  these? , i know curing  is the old fashion way of way of preserving meat, but for how long could i keep it before cooking ?   thanks

I'm going to try this next weekend.. Going to put it in the Brine tomorrow!!! Thanks for the recipe ideas!!!!

Last edited:
I am wanting to try this as well but I have a question.  If a buy a full brisket do you just use the flat portion of it for corned beef or will the thicker end work as well?  Or would people recoment just buying a flat from the butcher?  Thank you for the advice.

Both look excellent!  However, I do question the amount of Cure #1 used - 7.5 tbsp.

My Cure #1 says:

24 lbs. per 100 gal.

1 gal. = .24 lbs, or 3.84 oz.

1 tbsp. = .8 oz.

3.84 ÷ .8 = 4.8 tbsp.   7.5 tbsp. sounds like too much.  1 or 2 tbsp. would be more than enough, esp. with injection.  Please, correct me if i'm wrong, however!

Your on the internet, use your preferred search engine and type into it Liverwurst Recipe.  I did and it returned 148,000 results.  Pick one and carry on

is the amount of water correct in brine recipe? that looks like alot more than 1 gallon.  just curious.  my pastrami has been curing for 6 1/2 days.  rinsing now then spices and on the smoker this evening.

I so want to do this - ABT's and Beef Jerky somewhat successful... Next Challenge - My All time favorite - Corned Beef, Pastrami, or Montreal Smoked Meat - What ever you call it, A Rueben Awaits!!! I post the reply so I can find this recipe easy - Sometime in July - we start - Looks awesome!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky