Home page changes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for everything. One suggestion is to be able to delete your post.

Thank you for the suggestion.. we need those!

I'll have to check but I think users can delete their own posts for a certain amount of time after creating it however, we disallow this after that to preserve context.

Moderators can help you out with deleting posts/threads if it can be done without damaging the context of the thread that is in place or if there are other valid reasons for wanting it gone. They're pretty reasonable on most days:emoji_wink:

• Haha
Reactions: smokin peachey
I think it would be good to do away with allowing members to hide. It goes against the community that this forum is about and represents. If someone gotta hide that means they are up to no good. It’s great to have the chat page moved is there a way we can see who is logged into chat now? It would be great to finally do away with all the issues that result from people lurking in chat.
I’m unsure how you actually “hide” on the site or chat. If there is a way to unhide folks I’m all for it as when I’m around I want to be seen haha. As you know from time to time I like to pop into chat and talk with folks. When I do chat I don’t care who’s “lurking” as I am not concerned with others seeing anything I’ve said. If we keep the chat positive, helpful and mature just like the forum posts it doesn’t matter who’s looking in. I think my moms old adage “if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything” applies :) Forget chat, I think our world over all would be improved if we all took that to heart. Comment is in no way directed at you Peachy just my general opinion on chat overall. As I said initially I’ve enjoyed chatting with you and others quite a few times.

Last edited:
One other suggestion / request would be a longer period of time in which you can edit a post. Over time many of us “perfect” something we initially posted. The ability to update the improved recipe / guidelines would be awesome. I’ll say again it’s awesome Brian snd Jeff that your working on continually improving and soliciting feedback.

Reactions: GATOR240
I think it would be good to do away with allowing members to hide. It goes against the community that this forum is about and represents. If someone gotta hide that means they are up to no good. It’s great to have the chat page moved is there a way we can see who is logged into chat now? It would be great to finally do away with all the issues that result from people lurking in chat.

When I "hide" it is not intentional. It is just the "perk" that was already mentioned. Quite often I leave this site up on my computer. And if I see something interesting then I'll jump in and say hi. The term "lurking" has bugged me from the get go. Perhaps this feature should go away. For I couldn't care less who's on chat or not. It is really no different then reading threads and not responding.

I’m unsure how you actually “hide” on the site or chat. If there is a way to unhide folks I’m all for it as when I’m around I want to be seen haha. As you know from time to time I like to pop into chat and talk with folks. When I do chat I don’t care who’s “lurking” as I am not concerned with others seeing anything I’ve said. If we keep the chat positive, helpful and mature just like the forum posts it doesn’t matter who’s looking in. I think my moms old adage “if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything” applies :) Forget chat, I think our world over all would be improved if we all took that to heart. Comments is in no way directed at you Peachy just my general opinion on chat overall. As I said initially I’ve enjoyed chatting with you and others quite a few times.

Well said, If you don't spend a lot of time making fun of others on chat, you don't have to worry about anybody seeing it.
And if my stuff is set to "hide", I wish somebody would let me know, and tell me how to make it stop.
Hiding has never been in my blood.

Bear

I’m unsure how you actually “hide” on the site or chat. If there is a way to unhide folks I’m all for it as when I’m around I want to be seen haha. As you know from time to time I like to pop into chat and talk with folks. When I do chat I don’t care who’s “lurking” as I am not concerned with others seeing anything I’ve said. If we keep the chat positive, helpful and mature just like the forum posts it doesn’t matter who’s looking in. I think my moms old adage “if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything” applies :) Forget chat, I think our world over all would be improved if we all took that to heart. Comment is in no way directed at you Peachy just my general opinion on chat overall. As I said initially I’ve enjoyed chatting with you and others quite a few times.
I agree why the need to hide. I also agree with what your mom instilled in you as a boy. If I’ve said something to someone that wasn’t nice please call me out in a pm. I have enjoyed chatting with you and everyone else that stops in chat.

Well said, If you don't spend a lot of time making fun of others on chat, you don't have to worry about anybody seeing it.
And if my stuff is set to "hide", I wish somebody would let me know, and tell me how to make it stop.
Hiding has never been in my blood.

Bear
Come on into chat bear I’d love to see you.

Reactions: flatbroke
A little item...but me wants this :emoji_wink:
I wish the all the way up/down page arrows (bottom right of the screen) was available always, not when you roll the screen one click.

I sure hope. Why hide?
Not sure why that option bothers you so much but I get tons of PM's with questions from forum members. I keep my status hidden because I don't always want to answer them right away and don't want to look like a jerk when they can see I'm online. I also only use my phone so I never log out. Makes me look like I'm on the forum 24hr a day.

Not sure why that option bothers you so much but I get tons of PM's with questions from forum members. I keep my status hidden because I don't always want to answer them right away and don't want to look like a jerk when they can see I'm online. I also only use my phone so I never log out. Makes me look like I'm on the forum 24hr a day.
I get what you’re saying there Jake. Often not as much that you don’t want to answer but just don’t have the time sometimes.

TulsaJeff TulsaJeff bmudd14474 bmudd14474 has the option to hide your online status been removed?

Jake it wasn't taken away per say. This has always been a feature give to staff or Premier Members as a Perk. It was pointed out to me that everyone had the ability so I changed the settings to only allow Premier and Staff members to have it as it was intended.

Reactions: jcam222
Jake it wasn't taken away per say. This has always been a feature give to staff or Premier Members as a Perk. It was pointed out to me that everyone had the ability so I changed the settings to only allow Premier and Staff members to have it as it was intended.
Thanks something must be wrong with mine then because I no longer have that option

A little bit late to the party here but one piece of feedback and one suggestion:
  • Feedback: The expanded "recent threads" section is great. Seems like things are living there for a bit longer to get more exposure.
  • Suggestion: This might be a ton of work, but I'll make the suggestion anyway. It might be nice for a section of the front page to have posts from "user-selected" boards that each user chooses based on what they like, and the most recent or recently popular posts from those subjects appears there. For instance, I might choose to have that section be Charcoal Smokers, Pork, and Beef since those line up the most with my interests. Someone else might choose Electric Smokers and Poultry. There is so much information here it can be overwhelming to newer members, so some ability for users to curate their experience might be a nice feature. This could be a prompt during account creation for the initial selection, and could be edited by existing users from their profile.

A little bit late to the party here but one piece of feedback and one suggestion:
  • Feedback: The expanded "recent threads" section is great. Seems like things are living there for a bit longer to get more exposure.
  • Suggestion: This might be a ton of work, but I'll make the suggestion anyway. It might be nice for a section of the front page to have posts from "user-selected" boards that each user chooses based on what they like, and the most recent or recently popular posts from those subjects appears there. For instance, I might choose to have that section be Charcoal Smokers, Pork, and Beef since those line up the most with my interests. Someone else might choose Electric Smokers and Poultry. There is so much information here it can be overwhelming to newer members, so some ability for users to curate their experience might be a nice feature. This could be a prompt during account creation for the initial selection, and could be edited by existing users from their profile.

Thank you for the feedback!

I agree that the recent threads list on the home page gets stagnant and I am planning to replace those with recent posts as I think that's a better representation of the activity on the forum. There's new posts constantly but not as many new threads.

Regarding the suggestion: You can sort of do what you're asking already with watched threads and watched forums..

When you create or reply to a thread you can mark it or unmark it as "watched". You can then see all of those in one list at https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/watched/threads

The same goes with watched forums (watched categories essentially) at https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/watched/forums.

Thanks again!

As promised, we have made a few changes to the home page and a few other things here and there to tidy things up a bit.

We now have the 30 most recent posts on the home page.

The forum list is on it's own page which you can get to by simply clicking on the word "Forums" in the top menu.

If you click on the arrow next to "Forums" I have placed links to some of our most used forum categories.

Under the Home menu item you will find the watched threads/posts as well as links to your own threads/posts if you need those.

Chat has been removed from the top of the home page but it is easily accessed via it's own link in the main menu for those who use it.

We may change a few more things later but for now, this is good.

What has happened to the ability to mark all forums as read? Before the change you could click on Forums and go down to the bottom of the list where you had the option to mark all read. I don't find this anywhere now.

Reactions: TulsaJeff
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky