Home made maple syrup.... MONEY 2-26-16

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The waffle looks great Dave, I'm thinking I need to make some bacon and pancakes for breakfast just to be sure the syrup is edible. Thanks for letting me join in on your thread, it was fun and I learned a lot.

Also thanks to MapleNut and Arkage82 for all the timely input.
Ditto what Dan said from.
canada-flag-68.gif

Ok, How do I shut down sap production before it's finished producing? the sun came out and I'm thinking I'll have enough after another day, but hate to pull the taps and have it running out of the tree until it heals itself up. Any tricks?

You pull the taps and let nature do the healing. It will drip for quite some time, but it's not any different than if you were continuing to tap the tree. Once the taps are pulled, the healing process speeds up and the hole will eventually dry up. 

Thanks Arkage, I kind of knew that from the earlier posts but had to ask, I hate to see the sap wasted but sooner or later I'll have enough and will need to shut production down.

We just tapped this weekend...the most we've tapped ever with 258 total. It's the first year without my father-in-law who was the knower of all things when it came to deciding what was and wasn't a maple tree. We may have an elm or oak or ash or God knows what tapped be we sure did try hard.

I can see the hidden smiles and giggles in the ladies...   they truly are having a great time... 

About the trees....   I guess you taste the sap before contaminating a batch with off tasting stuff....

Central Wisconsin. Its a wierd year...guy I know has been making syrup for 40 years and never cooked in February...until this year. We should get a good run today but then it gets warm and stays that way for a while.

Reactions: maplenut
Judging from the weather forecast, this might be my last batch for the year. Last year, most of my syrup was made in late March and early April. Goes to show how the sugaring season is dependent on weather and not the calendar.

This batch came out very dark, but is very flavorful. (4 quarts, 1 pint, 1 half pint). Already had requests from family for quarts (before even done boiling), so must be doing something right. Gonna leave the taps in for another week or so, just to see if there might be one more run. Gotta hope. 

Is the darker color just from boiling it longer?
My last batch was darker and thicker, and it did spend more time on the heat.

From my experience and from what I've read, it's all dependent on what the tree gives, and that is influenced by temperature, period of the seaon, sap quality , etc.  I've read where a long low boil supposedly brings a darker color, but my first batch (see above) was a long simmering cook, (and came out light) and this batch was over gas,rapid boil, and came out darker.

There was a pic over on the maple forum, where a producer had batches from early to late and they got progressively darker through the season. Was an impressive pic. 

I focus more on the taste, and the color is a bonus. 

As the syrup sits on the shelf though, it seems to darken over time.  So, I take what I get.

Last edited:
TY TY! I really enjoy making it- gets one out of the "cabin fever" syndrome, and now that I've made the real stuff, I can't stomach the fake stuff. 

Was hoping for a bigger batch this year, but you learn to be grateful for what the Good Lord  provides. 

Looks like mother nature is going to provide us maplers here in Michigan with one more week of collecting. Sure has been an interesting season with all the warm spells and then cold spells. It feels and looks more like Christmas than it does Spring here in Michigan today, 25 degrees and snowing for three days!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky