Holes for probes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lookwow

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Menasha WI
So going to start building a UDS soon and just a quick question. If i make 3 holes just below the top grate for puttin my meat probes and make them just big enough to fit will that actually mess with how the drum works or is that little amount of space not going to matter? Im thinking the magnet idea ive read about if its going to be an issue otherwise was just going to leave it.

Ya could do that also. Kinda same difference. Just wondering if that small amount of air coming threw will mess with keeping temps right.

all i knows is when i sees them aliens a commin', i just squeeze real had so der ain't any holes for their friggin' probes............

lol i litterally busted a gut when i read that. Now about 30 people are looking at me wondering what is so funny.

I have a two notches that I cut in the top of the drum for my rotisserie spit. I usually lay the probe wire in one of the notches. I have a dome lid so my top grate is is at the top of the barrel. A little air at the top will only keep temps down..

I have 6 probe holes in my WSM and don't have any temp issues, but the holes are just big enough to let the probes in. I got the eylets at BBQ Guru, they install like rivets. There a little pricey ( $9.95 for 2 ), but they work real good.

I have a two notches that I cut in the top of the drum for my rotisserie spit. I usually lay the probe wire in one of the notches. I have a dome lid so my top grate is is at the top of the barrel. A little air at the top will only keep temps down..

I like this method a lot. The only issue I have with my small holes to put the probe through is when the meat is done I would like to be able to leave the probe in the meat while it rests to watch the internal temps but I can't because the end that plugs into thermometer won't fit through the smoker hole therefore I have to remove the probe. In my next smoker I will do this cut out or have one bigger hole that I will put all the probes through and will be big enough to fit the thermometer plug through. Just something to think about. It sucks when you have a stuffed piece of meat or just in general when you pull the probe out and tons of juices come squirting out of the meat. I want that to stay in the meat.

I agree with you on that one Ross, I just have another probe ready & put it in before any juices can escape, on my MES it's not an issue because the door seal is rubber. The WSM is a different story though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky