Hog's head cheese, well Kind Of

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alblancher

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 6, 2009
Louisiana
Been looking to improve my hog's head cheese recipe.  The last time I made it I used pork butt and packaged gelatin as the binder.  This time I decided to use the natural gelatin in trotters.

10.6 lbs of fresh whole picnic

27328bb9_001.jpg

4.8 lbs of split trotters

3adfe966_002.jpg

Barely cover the meat and trotters with water.  Season with chopped onion, salt, peppercorns, flaked red pepper and bell pepper.  Simmer till fall off the bone tender, about 3 hours.  Remove the meat from the broth and continue to cook the broth until reduced to about 2/3 original in volume.  The broth will feel very sticky when the gelatin has been extracted  Once reduced strain and reserve all broth

Most recipes say to run the meat through a food processor, I decided to pull and chop by hand to ensure a decent consistency.  Include all fat, skin and meat pulled from the bone but discard some of the soft fat from the picnic.

39287a82_004.jpg

Remove about 3 cups of the broth and return to the stove with low heat.  For this amount of meat I chopped 2 bunches of green onions, additional pepper flakes, two small bell peppers, couple of tablespoons of thyme and dried parsley.  Simmer till vegetables are tender

13682453_005.jpg

The broth

e99f8e4f_007.jpg

Combine the chopped meat and cooked vegetables.  This ensures that the meat is properly soaked in the broth and the vegetables are evenly distributed.  This is a good time to check for final seasonings.

b99feaae_008.jpg

Transfer the meat, vegetable, broth mixture to shallow pans and ladle in extra broth to cover the meat.  There should be enough liquid that the meat is fully covered but not drowning in the broth

5f6f4e65_009.jpg

This pan has a bit extra pepper flakes

e9507d26_010.jpg

After a couple hours in the fridge the hog's head cheese is fully set and ready to serve.  I like it with a bit of yellow or brown mustard on crackers with a couple of cold beers and a football game!

f603a008_013.jpg

The hog's head cheese set perfectly.   If I where doing it just for myself I would add a good bit more salt and hot pepper but that's easy enough to adjust on the plate.

d90cbcf9_011.jpg

I called around and was able to find hog's heads at a local butcher.  They would have to be ordered and then cleaned.  Eyes, ears and neural tissue would have to be removed before boiling.  When I do the demo at this years SELA gathering I'll probably use the head.     Trotters are available at most better grocers.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial, I am certainly enjoying the results1

Al

That looks Great and would be fun to make, the Mrs. would be groaning at the sight of Pigs Feet...JJ

This brings back some good memories.  I used to work with a man from New Roads, LA years ago and he would give me a pound every year.  I would eat it in one sitting, it was so good.  Yours looks great, too.  I might try it myself now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky