Hobart 1612 cleaning and disassembly--frozen adjustment knob

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fre1102

Original poster
Jun 13, 2023
I just picked up a Hobart 1612. It looks great and even came with the sharpener. The index knob is frozen and the gauge plate won't move. I assume the gauge plate guide rods either were never lubricated or were lubricated with vegetable oil which has gummed up. To get that plate out I need to get the indexing worm out...and that's where I'm stuck. The worm can't pull out or push in from the body because it's held in by a jam nut and a stop nut...which are on an assembly held on by a nut that's not accessible behind the carriage rods.

Anyone know how to get that worm assembly out so I can get this thing cleaned and start using it?

Thanks in advance. This seems like a great board!

Last edited:
I don't have one so can't visualize what you are talking about, but
for loosing the the gummed up parts even frozen/rusted nuts, you could try something like Kroil.

There are lots of places that sell parts for Hobarts.
OldHobartSlicerParts is one. Maybe looking at the pictures of the parts may provide some help.

I don't have one so can't visualize what you are talking about, but
for loosing the the gummed up parts even frozen/rusted nuts, you could try something like Kroil.

There are lots of places that sell parts for Hobarts.
OldHobartSlicerParts is one. Maybe looking at the pictures of the parts may provide some help.
I've got the manuals and diagrams. Unfortunately they don't address how to get the assembly out of the slicer body.

Did you take the adjustment knob off and take them nuts off, did you take the back panel off the back of slicer and try and pull the worm out that way. If things are stuck maybe try a little heat in then and tap with a hammer.

Did you take the adjustment knob off and take them nuts off, did you take the back panel off the back of slicer and try and pull the worm out that way. If things are stuck maybe try a little heat in then and tap with a hammer.
Yup. I've got the knob and all the nuts off the gear, just thread showing.

Those aren't what's holding in. There's a stop nut that keeps the worm gear from rotating down and dropping 'out' of the hole in the slicer body. I need to remove that stop nut.

The stop nut is part of the assembly that bolts to the slicer body under the gauge plate--there's no way I can see to access the nut holding the assembly on.

I'll see if I can get pictures or a video and post it.

It's got to be able to be removed somehow...I just can't see how.

Follow this link. It explains how to repair a stuck indexing knob. Does not sound like a fun job.
Mine was stuck and all I did was remove the knob and locked the two nuts together on the adjusting rod and I now use a crescent wrench to adjust the blade. I just eyeball where I want it. Not perfect but it works.

Reactions: fre1102
Following up for people that see this on a future Google search:

My initial issue (can't remove worm gear): you have to remove the carriage rails--those two rods that carriage rides back and forth on. It looks like they changed the system to fasten them into the slicer over the years--mine had clips on the ends of the rails away from the knob, on the motor end. The manuals show nuts, I think.

You can then remove the worm gear and get to the original issue: the frozen indexing system/gauge plate. I used Kroil and PB Blaster and you should try those if you have them lying around, but heat is what you need. Use a soldering torch, like the one used to solder the copper pipes under your sink. Apply heat sparingly to the frozen gauge plate guide rods. Mine slid out by hand after about fifteen seconds.

I would avoid beating anything with a hammer--those parts are designed to fit together with close tolerances and the metal is pretty soft. Apply heat and it'll slide right out.

I've just finished rebuilding mine. As always I didn't take any pictures but feel free to message me if you need help. The only useful thing I've seen on the internet about this is KBFlyer's web link, above. YouTube was zero help, unless I just don't know how to search.

And if you haven't already taken good pictures of the nuts under the indexing knob, do that before you disassemble. I didn't, and I thought I remembered how to re-assemble. It took some trial-and error.

Glad ya got it fixed and sharing how it's done, I'm sure someone will find this very helpful.

Glad ya got it fixed and sharing how it's done, I'm sure someone will find this very helpful.
For as many people that show up in searches with a 1612 or 1712 that's frozen, I'm amazed no one's done a YouTube on this.

I should have, I just can't ever get something to hold the phone, etc. And now that it's back together I just want to use it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky