Hinges for my builds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2bears

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Lets see some pictures of the hinges you used for both the cook chamber doors and the fire box doors.

I am going to be putting a couple smokers together soon and am looking for ideas for good durable hinges, one is a 120 gallon on a cart the ather will be a 500 gallon tank on a trailer.

Any good home made styles out there? 

I use these the most.  I have use weld on 4" before and works great too.  I prefer to make mine as my first choice. It's made of 1/2" bar and I get the pipe as close to 1/2" ID as I can.  Make sure you get pipe so you want have the weld seam on the inside. Hope this helps and good luck on your build. 

4fceec46_bbqhinge.jpg

Here are some other options for "smoker Hinges".  Found these on Mcfrugal.com, They also recommend Piano type hinges.  We look forward to finished pictures.

70411993_47019__83791_zoom.jpg

786557dd_09022__62572_zoom.jpg

I am with Randya make your own. You can go to Loewe's and check there pipe and round bar stock to what is the best fit and then make your own hinges for a much better price. I have used them for both door on the fire box and the hinges for the smoker and they work great. You can make what Randya has or you can set up the pipe the same as the smoker hinges. Your imagination is the limit.

Check some of the welding supply stores nearby, most of them will have the teardrop weld on style. One of the stores I use sells a 1/2" dia for about 5 bucks a pair.

Paul, have you heard anything about the KCK store. I am hearing from alot of guys that every time they go down there he is closed.

All my Son did for his cooking chamber was weld three big old butt hinges, and grind off the extra weld material.

Works fine on his 275 gallon oil tank pig smoker.

I can't find a good picture of his twin smoking box door hinges, but it's just a couple of angle irons, with holes drilled, and pins through the holes

Bear

cbc363f5_Pigroaster009copy.jpg

1c091d32_Pigroasterfinished2-1copy.jpg

Check some of the welding supply stores nearby, most of them will have the teardrop weld on style. One of the stores I use sells a 1/2" dia for about 5 bucks a pair.

Paul, have you heard anything about the KCK store. I am hearing from alot of guys that every time they go down there he is closed.

Bobby has a lot going on with different properties and I don't know that he is around the store all the time... I think he depends a lot on online purchases.

If I think about it tomorrow or Monday I will check with him and see when he is there.

I Just went ahead and made my own on the last build I did. Doesn't take to long and with some pipe and rod you can make some good hinges yourself

c15061e0_IMAG0029.jpg

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST WELDER AND BUILT A SMOKER OUT OF A 60 GALLON HOT WATER TANK , IT TURNED OUT VERY WELL CONSIDERING IT WAS MY FIRST TIME WELDING !!!!!!! THOSE HINGES OF YOURS ARE A GREAT IDEA , IM GONNA TRY THEM OUT MYSELF ON FUTURE BUILDS !!!!! U CAN GO TO FACEBOOK .COM / RODERICK THOMAS OR FACEBOOK.COM/  GRILLMASTERSOFMEMPHIS AND CHECK OUT PICTURES AND A FEW VIDEOS OF SMOKER !!!! PLEASE OFFER CONSTRUCTIVE CRITACISM ON SMOKER !!!!!!!

This old farmer down in S. Texas used a segment of chain that come from the innards of a farm tractor to make hinges.  Not sure what is the official name of it but looked like a bicycle chain about an inch wide. It take 3 links and you weld the two on the end over the gap and the middle link provided the pivot point. Made more than several using the same strategy myself. Last forever and cost a buck or two for a section about 20 feet long at the farm auctions. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky