Hill Country smoked sausage Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Biggy1

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
Houston Texas
I'm going to try and make 10 lbs. Of hill country smoked sausage but I want to slow smoke it by adding cure#1 to the recipe , can it be done like that or do I have to smoke it at 225* ?

I don't see why not. How low are you thinking about going with the temp? I would say around 170 should be fine with cure.

I don't see why not. How low are you thinking about going with the temp? I would say around 170 should be fine with cure.
Starting at 120* to dry then 130* start smoking and raise temp 10* every hr. to 170* until I.T. hits 152* ,

Starting at 120* to dry then 130* start smoking and raise temp 10* every hr. to 170* until I.T. hits 152* ,

Thats what I do but 170 is getting close to fat out. Make sure your therm is accurate.

Reactions: Biggy1
Yeah-- keep the Internal Temperature at or below 152 -- pull at about 150 because, if you'll remember, it keeps rising for a short time after you pull it out -- unless you ice water bath for a few minutes to take the heat out.

I'm going to try and make 10 lbs. Of hill country smoked sausage but I want to slow smoke it by adding cure#1 to the recipe , can it be done like that or do I have to smoke it at 225* ?

Yep that is exactly how you do it.
I do sausage with wild hog meat in my MES that has a PID controller. With the PID it holds super tight control at sausage smoking temps (dead on or within 1 degree).
With the wild hog meat I have to get my sausage Internal Temperature (IT) up to 165F and the only way to do that is to gradually bring the smoker up to 180F temp.

I don't get fat out BUT my Electric Smoker + PID manages temps very very very well so I have no issues doing this. So it is possible to go up to 170-180F smoker temp but ONLY if you have the kind of precision I have.

If you are using safe store bought pork/meat then I believe you will want to take your sausage to an IT of like 153F or so. No need then to take the smoker up to 170-180F.

I hope this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky