• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

high temp cheese

grimreeper

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2011
I just recived my order of high temp cheese from lem. I want to know if i should store it in the fridge or freezer or in a cupboard.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
When I get it at the grocery store its always in the freezer. We always keep ours frozen until we put it in the meat to stuff. 

grimreeper

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2011
That is what i am making on my days off. Another question i have is what is a good smoke house. I have a mes 30(to small) and a trager grill. I am looking at some thing that can hang a 22 inch long summer sausage easily.

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2009
Depends on how much you want to spend. A UDS can be built fairly cheap and an upright smoker can cost upwards of a couple grand.

fitch32

Joined Jan 19, 2011
I would like to ask another question that goes along with grimreeper. At which point do you put your hight temp cheese in the mix? Do you put it when mixing cure and spices or is this a last bit thing like citric acid.

grimreeper

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2011
Thank you for that smokeamotive. I am looking for some thing that will do upto 50 lbs at one time.

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2009
I would like to ask another question that goes along with grimreeper. At which point do you put your hight temp cheese in the mix? Do you put it when mixing cure and spices or is this a last bit thing like citric acid.
I would add the cheese and/or japs (if adding them) after the spices and all grinding is done. That way the cheese stays intact. @10 percent.

Last edited:

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2009
Thank you for that smokeamotive. I am looking for some thing that will do upto 50 lbs at one time.
Sounds to me like you'll be looking at building a smokehouse. There's other people here more qualified to answer that than me and I'm sure one will be along to help you out.  

grimreeper

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2011
Thanks again. I hope i can get some thing going. I have an order for 30 pounds of garlic sausage and 15 pounds of cracked pepper and garlic summer sausage

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

I would keep the cheese in the freezer. Now I would build a smoke house before you buy a smoker for just cheeses and low temp stuff. Now they are easy and the plans I think are in the build section here. 

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
I would add the cheese and/or japs (if adding them) after the spices and all grinding is done. That way the cheese stays intact. @10 percent.

That is what we have found works the best. We mix everything up and let it sit over night. Then the next morning we add the frozen high temp cheese and mix everything again and then stuff into casings. What we found was if we put the cheese in the night before it got all mushy. The cheese seems to stay more solid and intact if we stuff it when they are frozen. That's what we found anyway.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.