Hi Mountain Original Mountain Man Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I really like Pops Country Sausage Recipe. I have made it a couple of times and it remains my favourite sausage recipe. However, I was given a box of Hi Mountain Original Mountain Man Sausage Seasonings. I am too cheap not to try them.

I put all my grinding and stuffing equipment outside. Why outside? It was way colder outside than my freezer.

I had purchased a 5 1/2 pound butt roast but they had trimmed a lot of the fat. So I made it up to six pounds with fat I had trimmed from a prior pulled pork project. I cut it into 1 inch cubes.

I measured the 1/4 cup of seasonings called for in the recipe. I then put a layer of cubes in a bowl and sprinkled some of the seasonings on them. I the rest of the meat in layer by layer seasoning as I went along. 

I added the last of the seasoning and tossed well. I put the meat outside to chill for 1/2 hour. Then I set up the Kitchen Aid grinder with the smallest grinding plate and ground the meat.

I added 1 1/2 cups of water as per the recipe in the box. I formed a patty for a test fry and put the rest of the meat outside to remain cold.

The test fry was good so I went on to form the sausage. She Who Must Be Obeyed prefers casingless sausages so I ran the sausage through my stuffer onto a cookie sheet and cut them to length.

I then put the sausages outside to freeze up a little. Then I wrapped them in packages of 8 in cellophane and then put the packages in large Ziploc bags to freeze.

The verdict: I really like Pops recipe and it will continue to be my basic sausage recipe but these are very good. A nice touch of salt with a low level spicy taste that lingers on the tongue. Definitely a nice product. I will use it occasionally for variety.

Disco

Disco, those look really good.  If can't figure out how to the sheep casing in the tube then I'll have to try the casingless links.  Nothing wrong with patties, just the links provide a little varity.

Reactions: hoity toit
looks great

you are an OLD PRO for sure......

im gonna make some Moose garlic sausage and Moose pizza pepperoni today, smoke it up tomorrow....
WISH ME LUCK  :0)

Sausage looking good Disco...... Dang its cold up there... Dont know how ya'll do it........ it was 79 here yesterday......yeah baby......lol

Disco, those look really good.  If can't figure out how to the sheep casing in the tube then I'll have to try the casingless links.  Nothing wrong with patties, just the links provide a little varity.
Thanks. I would prefer to use the sheep casings but She Who Must Be Obeyed got grossed out the first time I used natural casings. She ate natural cased sausage many times but had never seen them empty being rinsed. The casingless version is to keep the missus happy.

wife.gif

Disco
Disco, those look great.
Thanks. They tasted good two. I just had a sausage breakfast muffin with these sausages, a slice of cheese and a homemade English muffin. MMMMM.

Nice job Disco !

Mike

It is nice to try something different every now and then. Those look great!

18 below zero this morning. Disco, your sausage looks great!! time to make some sausage here also.  Reinhard
Thanks guys. I do like to try different things. I am trying to work up the courage for a smoke but it is -26 C (-15 C) and I admit to cowardice. I am going to have to get over it though. I'm almost out of bacon.

Disco

looks great

you are an OLD PRO for sure......

im gonna make some Moose garlic sausage and Moose pizza pepperoni today, smoke it up tomorrow....
WISH ME LUCK  :0)
Well, old anyway but thanks for the compliment. I am so jealous. I love moose. I bet it makes great pepperoni.
Sausage looking good Disco...... Dang its cold up there... Dont know how ya'll do it........ it was 79 here yesterday......yeah baby......lol
Thanks, it was good sausage. Go ahead and rub the weather in. However, while it does get cold up here, I love the mountains. Every time the sun goes down and turns the mountain peaks a brilliant pink, I can even talk She Who Must Be Obeyed into a cuddle.

Disco

Very nice snausages you have there Disco!!! ya 8* her today with winds blowing 15mph goin to get real cold
Thanks, stick. An extra layer of clothes. An extra pair of gloves. An extra shot of whisky. The people from our area of the country know how to deal with it at least. I'm sure you will have a good day anyway.

Disco

looks like them caseless sausages that recipes are floating around for.  i think there called celapsi or something like that, hungarian/romanian/bulgarian???  very tasty,  nice job

looks like them caseless sausages that recipes are floating around for.  i think there called celapsi or something like that, hungarian/romanian/bulgarian???  very tasty,  nice job
Thanks, Skully.

I just now sat down stuffed 20lbs of snack sticks long day with the pretzels I did time for a cold one by the warm fire Thanks for the advice earlier
icon14.gif

I just now sat down stuffed 20lbs of snack sticks long day with the pretzels I did time for a cold one by the warm fire Thanks for the advice earlier
icon14.gif
Dang. I'm out of snack sticks. Thanks for reminding me.

Disco

Hey! Disco, Sure do like the looks of them sticks. Nothing wrong with making them skinless if it keeps the little woman happy. I used some sheep casings on my last batch... I think it was a Baaaaa'd idea... More work than what it was worth. I'm thinking you might have a good idea there...

Good Job.... Nice Pictures...

John

Thanks, John. Yes, the sausages turn out fine this way. The only advantage to casings is they are easier to freeze without sticking together but if you freeze the casingless a little before storing them, they are good.

Disco

sorry about the spelling, those little caseless yummies are called "cevaps" or "cevapcichi", bosnian specialty apparently but are common throughout all eastern europe with dif names. sorry if im breaking away to far from the topic. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky