Hi. I'm a newbie. I watched some youtube videos about turning my gas bbq into a smoker......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rickyd123

Original poster
May 21, 2017
And I figured I'd give it a try. Everything seems simple enough. I have a couple questions though. I'm going to be smoking a pork loin roast. It weighs 1.8 pounds. I'm going to try and keep my grill temperature between 225 and 250 degrees.

Here's my questions: How long should I plan on having to smoke it until it's done. Should I use a meat thermometer to check the meats temperature towards the end to ensure the meat is fully cooked or are there better ways to tell. How long should I soak my wood chips before using. I bought Hickory wood chips from Walmart. I got the 5 day ecourse, and I was planning watching it and buying a smoker, but I figured what the hell after watching the youtube videos.

Pork loin is pretty simple to cook, smoke, grill, etc.  Use indirect heat and smoke/cook the meat until the internal temp of the pork loin roast is 140-145F.  Depending on size of the roast, 2-3 hours. 

I smoked a brisket on a propane grill. Came out delicious. I realized it was better not to soak the chips. There was some flavor but not a lot. It was just to late into that I realized dried chips would have been better. Good luck!

It was the best piece of meat I've ever cooked. I'm a new smoker. Now and for the rest of my life. I'm planning my next attempt right now. Boneless chicken breast. I think they need to be cooked to 165 degrees, but I'm not sure. I'll have to find out. The pork roast was delicious though. Thanks everyone for all the help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky