Hi from down under

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnyd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
New Zealand
G'day folks, just found this forum as I was looking how to do cheese, i am newly in to making my own small goods, bacon, corned beef, sausages, and as a natural progression as all the meat is gone I'm starting in on the fruit, nuts, spices and cheese.

Just enjoy making food taste great and not paying store prices! 

Not that its to save money ........ a grinder, smoker, stuffer and slicer just to start off with! haha
439.gif

Cheers John 

John welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of great ideas and info around here. Have fun and happy smoking

Will do but my soldering iron sitting in a jam jar didnt look that cool. usually use a brinkman cabinet charcoal smoker

Hey, we like pictures and one of a soldering iron producing smoke wouldn't be a first, sounds like you'll fit in just right here.

Have you ever eaten beef Tri-tip, Silver Ferns Farms has them, I talked the butcher into ordering some and they went over real well, lots of threads here on them if you use the search function, ...once you try one you'll be hooked.

Gene

'Oy! How about we throw some shrimp on the barbie!?

Really though... I love some grilled shrimp. Glad to have you here!

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Ok so day two on the cheese learning curve decided to play around with a piece of stainless gauze, and let a air current keep the tinder smoldering, you camper type folk may recognise this as a toaster for bread that sits on a propane stove.

1881c1a8_DSCN1160.jpg

Johnyd, Welcome. You got Roo on your island? I've heard it is really good. I heard camel is good also. I just don't know if those two critters got to your rock or not? Suppose you have got other really good stuff Q.

John, Welcome aboard my friend, I am sure that you'll find plenty of tip, tricks, recipes and equipment here to keep you reading for a very long time.  If your looking for information on a specific item or subject or topic just type it in the SEARCH bar near the top of the page and hit the return key or click on the search at the end of the SEARCH bar.  The WIKI section is also loaded with specific information that you can find quickly and easily.  While your checking out the WIKI section click on the letter A and then click on the word ACRONYMS, make yourself a copy of this page, we often call things by different names here at SMF so if you have a copy of the ACRONYMS you can look down the list and know what we are talking about quickly.  John, last but not least, the only dumb question that you can ask here......is the one that you do not ask!  Again, welcome aboard, we are so glad to have you with us.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome!

Dave Omak .... we have wallabys here but not 'roos you may be confusing our little islands with our neighbors ( Australia ) word to the wise here, we have a strong rivalry between Aus and NZ its like me calling an American a Canadian.

We have a lot of imported animals here (all of them actually) as NZ was a land filled with only bird species before the arrival of man.

I'll list some here for you Wallabies goat pig red deer virginian deer sika deer rusa deer samba deer wapiti deer Himalayan Thar and Chamois

Oh and no season on hunting no tags and no permits to harvest animals ( only need a permit to be on specific land (govt owned))

Here endeth the lesson.
beercheer.gif

Hey John,

Welcome!  I have been a member since '05 and lived in Whangaparaoa then.  Moved back to the states in '06 and spend a lot of time on this site.  Still miss the South Pacific being out my back door.  You will get any information on smoking you need.  By the way, I still use a Kiwi vertical smoker that I picked up in Auckland.  I'm about to take delivery on a Lang 48 (can't wait).  Hope you enjoy your time here.  GREAT bunch of people!

Cheers mate,

Oz

Great Oz glad you enjoyed your time here. I spent 3 months stateside in '09 and that taught me what true meat flavours was all about! i mean ...man look at those trailer smokers! made my eyes bulge.

Just recieved today my sausage maker its a small 3 1/2 lb horizontal job but seems well made and was only$107 kiwi which is about $80 us so even by US prices it is very cheap

I would have liked a Dakota but they are around $375 here.

There is a floru green pen sitting there just for size comparison.  

fb40f87e_DSCN1163.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky