Hi all

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inbtb

Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
North East Indiana
New here and just wanted to say hi and tell a little bit about why I'm here.

Bought a Cabela's smoker about 20 years  and tried it a few times and

never really had any luck. I have tried to sell it at a couple of garage sales but no luck selling.

I am retired and have plenty of time so I figured I would give the smoker

another go to see if I can get some decent food out of it. Smoker uses

wood or charcoal plus I did buy the electric element so it can be used

with electric, if element still works have not plugged it in yet.

So advice is welcome I am willing to try just about anything when it

comes to cooking, oh yea, wife does not have a cast iron stomach, yet.

Talk later

Les

from NE IN

Hello Les, glad to have you. Post some pictures of your smoker so everyone will know what you have and how to help.

Gary S

Welcome from Canada, Les.

canadian-flag-15.gif

I didn't have much success smoking until I found this forum. If you want to try smoking something, just enter it in the search bar and you will find several techniques that have worked for others. Also, if you post your effort with pictures as you are doing it, you can get advice as you go along.

I look forward to your posts.

Disco

Hello Les and Welcome to our addiction.  A word of warning: There is no 12 step program for this one!  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  No need to apologize for the wife; she will come round.  
duel.gif

hit.gif

lurk.gif
  PLEASE!!! don't tell her I said that, or at least don't tell her where I live. 
icon_biggrin.gif
  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Got it an, ECB   el-cheap-o brinkman ,started with one of those myself. Takes a little practice and patients but you can turn out some great BBQ. Even though I use my Reverse Flow my son and i built I get out my ECB every once in a while. I made quite a few modifications to this last one, I went on line and found someone that posted step by step pictures of the mods. But I did lots of briskets, ribs, pork shoulders, chickens, turkeys and a tone of other stuff way before I did the mods.  Best advice I think I give is to get to know your smoker, start out with chicken (cheap and doesn't take long) then move on to something else. Practice, take your time and you'll have it mastered in no time. One thing you may want to do first is get a good thermometer the ones that come on the units are usually not very accurate. 

Gary S

As I said i started out on one just about like that one.  Do check that thermometer or replace it it.

Gary S

Hey Les

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/></v:shapetype><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_9" o:spid="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=":canada-flag-68:" style='width:30.75pt;height:20.25pt;visibility:visible; mso-wrap-style:square'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\clip_image001.gif" o:title=""/></v:shape><![endif][if !vml]
clip_image001.gif
[endif]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky