Hey there from Utah!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydoc

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah in the Mountains
New to the forum ( officially...but have been by multiple times for recipes :) ) and just now checking in! Been trying out new BBQ techniques over the last few years. Done the Traeger thing and have a couple of Kamado's that I use pretty frequently. Now I'm trying on my big boy pants and started to build a backyard offset with a 120 gallon tank.

ANY recs or tips are appreciated. I've seen a couple of calculators in regards to volumes (smoker vs fire box vs smoke stack) and whatnot. Really interested in everyone's two cents. I'm super psyched about smoking on a sick burner, but know that builds sometimes don't turn out well...and I really want this to be awesome.

Have an old 120 gallon air compressor tank from 1958. Its thick and seriously awesome. Have an old 80 gallon air tank that I was going to cut down for the fire box. Planning on insulating the firebox with fiberglass and using 3/8th steel to make a square outer for the fire box as well.

Thoughts?

Reactions: JLeonard
welcome to the forum from minnesota! sounds like a great project you got going! hopefully the builders of these smokers will come along soon and give lots of good info for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky