Here we go!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingmymeat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Angel Fire, NM.--9000ft.
Okay, got in yesterday afternoon, released the MES 30 from its cardboard confinment.

Got it seasoned last night. I picked up an angus beef brisket on the way home.

I set the temp. for 230. Is that right? mixing up a rub, pics to follow. Gonna have to play with the camera/computer to see if I can do this. Think I'll try pecan for the smoke.

Fingers are crossed. Oh I almost forgot, which level should I put the rack in at? does it matter?

Last edited:
You are going to love the MES just try to use another temp probe the one on the MES more than likely is off.

Good luck. We will be anxiously awaiting your smoke results. I would put it on the second rack down from the top.

Thanks Fife, picked one up when I got the smoker, it read over 50 higher. Have to spend more than $20 I guess. Would have posted sooner but can't seem to get the pics to load. going bak to the direcions again. Sorry AL. Hope to have pics later.

447c5e1f_smokedfoods937.jpg

Hey BEER_B_Q, I'm already loving it. The temprature when I started was 39 degrees. Maybe it got to 50.

What I'm not loving is the trouble I'm having downloading the pics. Taking a long time to do it when it does.

I'm pretty sure it's my computer. Happy smoking

Well I've got to say I'm quite disappointed with the end result. The one I sliced was a bit dry, and I'm

not holding out any/much hope for the other. Oh well, live and learn. The wife says she wants me

to do a hot smoked salmon with applewood.

THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN

Here we go again!

Sorry you were disappointed with your brisket, but brisket is the toughest cut of meat to smoke. If it was good enough to eat you did OK. Every time you smoke something you will learn from your mistakes. I urge you to take detailed notes on each smoke so you can look back & refine your technique. Read all the threads here, ask questions, and keep trying. It won't be long & you will be helping other newbies with your new found knowledge.

Read some of the tutorials on smoking a briskit.

The steps from foiling to slicing are all very important.

But like others have said, ya jumped in w/ probably the hardest pice of meat to get right.

so if it was edable ,Not bad for a first smoke.

We ate a lot of chopped brisket BBQ sammies till i got it figured out.

Thanks for the support. Still edible, just thought I'd do better. Don't worry, I'll be aking more questions. Need to stop

reading the threads. Getting way too many ideas of things to smoke. It may be a good thing we don't have pets.

Gonna have a go at hot smoking a salmon tonight and I have a slb of baby backs in the fridge. Never was smart

enough to stay on the ground.

Happy smoking,

Big AL

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky