Here is my plan, will it work?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron forst

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Southern Mn
about 15 hungry 20 something men coming this weekend for a party at the brewery. The plan: Purchased 3 pork shoulder picnik roasts, rubbed down last night, in the frig today wrapped in plastic wrap. Tonight after work, into the smokehouse for 4 hours. Into the frig to cool down as fast as possible. Friday Morning wrap in foil, put in electric roaster at 220, around 10 hours and then pull and eat around 8 pm. Sound like it will work?

Is there a reason that you can't just smoke it fully on Friday? If you get up early you should be able to get them done by 8 pm. I'm just not a fan of cooking them a bit then cooling them and then trying to cook them again. If I'm not able to cook and serve them the same day I will just cook them fully ahead of time and pull the meat and then reheat the pulled meat the day I need to eat it. But that's just me. The main thing you are going to have to watch out for with cooking/cooling/cooking is that the meat could be in the danger zone too long. As long you can keep it out of the danger zone it should be safe.

ok so the whole temp thing has me a bit scared. Being that I cant devote a whole day smoking to perfection I've decided to "cold smoke" the roasts, ( this is Minnesota) so getting in the dander zone shouldnt occur. After 4 or 5 hours of cold smoke then I will cook them in an electric roaster for a long time.

I would get 4 or 5 hours of smoke then finish in the oven. Or
smoke it hot and fast @300+ degrees . Its be done in 6 or 7 hours.

This sounds mighty iffy to me from a safety stand point. I have sent a PM to someone with more knowledge then I have on this. 

ok so the whole temp thing has me a bit scared. Being that I cant devote a whole day smoking to perfection I've decided to "cold smoke" the roasts, ( this is Minnesota) so getting in the dander zone shouldnt occur. After 4 or 5 hours of cold smoke then I will cook them in an electric roaster for a long time.

I would not cold smoke these; they'd be in the danger zone way too long.  Hot smoke all the way in one run and then reheat to serve.  Don't want to make your buddies sick...

I've never tried this before, but if the temp in the cooking chamber stays below 40 degrees, wouldnt that be ok? I know I could easily keep it below that here in WI in the winter. Please correct me if I missed something. Just my $.02

If you can keep the smoker below 40 degrees you can smoke as long as you wish but without a smoke generator that generates little or no heat that will be difficult...4 hours at 40* will probably give very little flavor to a Picnic Shoulder...It is not a good idea to partially cook, chill, then finish cooking large pieces of meat especially if you plan on injecting anything...You need get it to a minimum of 140*F in one process...then you can finish anyway you wish...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky