HeMan Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yikes! They are predicting 70% chance of wintery mix Thursday night with lows in the single digits that night with a high Friday of like 22.
Jim

I like this!! Kind of like a stew using ground meat. I've never had anything like it, but now I have another bookmark LOL! I made Haluska (Cabbage & Noodles) yesterday, which also uses bacon and plan on trying this. I'm going to have to make more bacon soon. I seem to be running low :-(
Yep, we're into the time of year that food like this is made for. It was 20 when I got up and it's all the way up to 24 now and I'm not stepping foot out of the house....
Thanks smokeymose! Your Haluska sounds delicious!! And never have enough bacon!

tbern tbern
That is a hearty soup for cold weather that will stick to your bones. It sure does remind me of some of the Depression era meals that my mother would make.

Stu

Reactions: tbern
Chilly, overcast, and overall a pretty yucky day in Central Texas. Got my batch of this on the stove and starting now. Will update as it comes together.

Robert

Reactions: Steve H and tbern
Alrighty then. It's going full bore now. House smells amazing!! You can smell the bacon simmering, the tomatoes, and seasonings. Kinda makes you want to curl up on the couch with a Hot Totty and a good book....or your pretty wife :emoji_wink:
Yes , but ,,,,,, the tomato / water base is what makes it what it is .
Adding beef broth gives you something else .
Being that you are a person I trust and have the utmost respect for, I took your words to heart. Used water instead of the beef broth. Having tasted it, I gotta say I absolutely love the deep, rich, tomato flavors. I can only think that the beef broth would negate some of that. Thanks so much for the sage advice!!!
Sounds good!!
Thanks. Smells and tastes pretty darned good too :emoji_laughing: I had to make a couple of audibles though. First one was to use the big Dutch Oven. Only thing I had large enough for this. Only had 2 cans of tomato paste so used those and a small can of tomato sauce. Shouldn't change much of anything I wouldn't think. Also, after I got it all put together and it started simmering, I could tell it wasn't gonna have the depth of flavor or richness that we enjoy. Added just a touch of coriander, cumin, and smoked paprika. Man oh man did that make a difference!! Brought it all to life without changing the flavor profile in the least. In closing, at least for now, I will say this meal is 100% legit. I know it has a ways to go yet but I'll tell you now, I know we are gonna love this!! Thankyou once again tbern tbern for posting this. A little sneak peek:
007.jpg

Robert

Alrighty then. It's going full bore now. House smells amazing!! You can smell the bacon simmering, the tomatoes, and seasonings. Kinda makes you want to curl up on the couch with a Hot Totty and a good book....or your pretty wife :emoji_wink:

Being that you are a person I trust and have the utmost respect for, I took your words to heart. Used water instead of the beef broth. Having tasted it, I gotta say I absolutely love the deep, rich, tomato flavors. I can only think that the beef broth would negate some of that. Thanks so much for the sage advice!!!

Thanks. Smells and tastes pretty darned good too :emoji_laughing: I had to make a couple of audibles though. First one was to use the big Dutch Oven. Only thing I had large enough for this. Only had 2 cans of tomato paste so used those and a small can of tomato sauce. Shouldn't change much of anything I wouldn't think. Also, after I got it all put together and it started simmering, I could tell it wasn't gonna have the depth of flavor or richness that we enjoy. Added just a touch of coriander, cumin, and smoked paprika. Man oh man did that make a difference!! Brought it all to life without changing the flavor profile in the least. In closing, at least for now, I will say this meal is 100% legit. I know it has a ways to go yet but I'll tell you now, I know we are gonna love this!! Thankyou once again tbern tbern for posting this. A little sneak peek:
View attachment 651531

Robert
Robert your words are most kind!! Yours is looking so good!!! Your added spices of coriander, cumin , and smoked paprika have intrigued me, as I like all 3 of those! Should make a great supper for you tonight!

Robert your words are most kind!!
Well sir, that is what this forum is all about. Let's face it, you've replied positively to a lot of my threads. The least I can do is jump into one of yours and make some factual statements :emoji_wink:

Ok....been simmering a couple hours now. Flavors did develop quite a bit but still needed a bit more depth. Just a tad more coriander, cumin, paprika, and a dash of kosher salt. We have now attained soup perfection :emoji_astonished: My original plan was to use some of my beef belly bacon but thought about it and changed my mind. Couldn't help but think that the pork bacon brought something to the party that was intended to be there. Went with a pack of my homemade pepper crusted bacon. Wow!! The smokiness of the bacon is really starting to develop in the soup and it is fantastic. I'm almost thinking of not adding rice, noodles, or anything else because this stuff is so good as it is. If I do put something in, it'll be orzo. That stuff just has so much more flavor than rice and a nice texture. Will need to add more water though if any of the above are added.

Robert

Had to look up what Orzo was as I had never heard of it (I live a sheltered life). It sounds very good!!

Being that you are a person I trust and have the utmost respect for, I took your words to heart. Used water instead of the beef broth.
My childhood was ready to be ruined one Tbls at a time . Lol .
My Mom , ( and now myself ) use 2 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce then use the cans to top off a 6 qt dutch oven . Always stew beef for the meat .

Looks really good. My mom used to make something called autumn soup. This looks very similar. That recipe had all the same ingredients except for the bacon.

Looks really good. My mom used to make something called autumn soup. This looks very similar. That recipe had all the same ingredients except for the bacon.
Yes, truly believe this is a mom recipe and it's tweaked in many different ways, but all ways are very good!

Hell yeah tbern tbern - now I have a name for the hamburger soup I've been making for years lol. I have never added bacon but that's my fault.

Last time I made it I used a box of beef rice a roni instead of plain rice. It was a hit.

Hell yeah tbern tbern - now I have a name for the hamburger soup I've been making for years lol. I have never added bacon but that's my fault.

Last time I made it I used a box of beef rice a roni instead of plain rice. It was a hit.
Lol, yeah its a fitting name for it. Give the bacon a try, I think it adds a lot to the finished taste! Your rice a roni idea sounds very good too!!

That soup looks absolutely delicious tbern tbern , and I know exactly how that tastes! There's a similar soup my grandmother would make for us, minus the bacon. We called it Goulash soup (I know, I know... it's not the real thing before someone corrects me) We do a lot of soups around here and this one gets made every winter.

That soup looks absolutely delicious tbern tbern , and I know exactly how that tastes! There's a similar soup my grandmother would make for us, minus the bacon. We called it Goulash soup (I know, I know... it's not the real thing before someone corrects me) We do a lot of soups around here and this one gets made every winter.
Thanks xray! Nothing wrong with your name of goulash, no matter what everyone calls it, it's great comfort food to enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky