Help!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My old lady got the pic to fit (go figure). Hope you like it
43e4bba4_vbattach20168.jpg

Nice rub going there! Looks like that thing is going to be good.

Were you able to get your grill temp up?

Thanks. I got the meat to about 155 or so then wrapped it in aluminum foil and a towel and have it in the microvave to stay warm. I put new coals in and the temp stayed up for a while but has dropped back down. I also have a beer but chicken on ther ethat is almost done. Will post more pics of both when done. Overall i am happy with my first smoke but need to figure out how to keep up the temp. Thanks all for posting your helpful comments.

Yea its off I dont have a cooler though. Does any one know why you can the cooler will do so good?

That rub looks tasty. I had been struggling with my fire at first too. I had my coals sitting on a grating so that the ashes would fall throught to the box underneath. I could get some great heat but it would only last :30 to :45 tops. As a result, I'd get some hellatious temperature swings inside my smoker. One day, I had some chicken quarters and fajitas and decided to try putting the coals directly in the ash drawer. I've been doing that ever since. I get a consistent temperature for about 1:45 before it starts to slowly decrease. I've also seen a dramatic improvement with the smoke rings (weird..).

As far as the smoke goes, I get a ton of smoke at first (or when I add more briquettes). Then it reduces to a thinner puffy cloud like output. Then there comes a point when the smoker emits virtually NO smoke. I've learned that the quantity of smoke within the cooking chamber isn't that important - the temperature is what seems to help the smoke penetrate the meat. I could be wrong but that's been my observation.

Ventilation is also very important. I don't have a way to regulate the output but I keep the input ALMOST to the point suffocation. That way, I get a long, even burn.

I hope you're able to solve your heat problem. Happy Smoking

Tom

Thanks M1 The Chicken is almost done and I will Put Pics up. Me an my dad have been trying to figure this heat thing out all day. I think it turned out good though am looking forward to the next smoke

The cooler works (as long as there is no ice in it...hehe) as an insulator and allows the meat to re-distribute/absorb the juices usually expelled from the meat during cooking in the foil and such or something like that. I am sure someone can explain better. All I do know is it does work very well as I have started doing the wrap and store method since coming here to SMF.

What type of smoker do you have? I have a Silver Smoker with a side fire box and it took me a few modifications to the smoker to tune it in. Check out a few of these posts that helped me out when I first came here.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Depending on what type of smoker you have each of the forums there will help you out with modifications that can help you keep a good temperature and distribute the heat evenly if needed.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/how-to-build-a-fire.html
This link also helped me out and there are instructions/suggestions on if you charcoal as well.

Feel free to post and ask specific questions everyone here is very friendly and has been very helpful from my experience.

Coolers are made to keep things at the temp you put them in at. "Cooler" is a bad thing to call it. It should be called a "maintainer" LOL! You can even "preheat" them with a gallon of hot water, then dump and add the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky