HELP!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluebombersfan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Just about to start my very first smoke in my 30" MES.  My question is should I put water in the water pan, I am smoking 4lbs of Hi Mountain Snackin sticks.
help.gif

I never made Hi Mt Snack Sticks, but I never put water in my pan when making my unstuffed Beef sticks, and they turn out just right. I think a lot has to do with the amount of time you take to get them to your target, and how thick they are. If you smoke for a whole lot of hours, at a low temp, you might want to add water, but if you're keeping it under 8 hours, you shouldn't need it. IMO

Doesn't Hi Mt say anything about it in their directions?

Bear

I never made Hi Mt Snack Sticks, but I never put water in my pan when making my unstuffed Beef sticks, and they turn out just right. I think a lot has to do with the amount of time you take to get them to your target, and how thick they are. If you smoke for a whole lot of hours, at a low temp, you might want to add water, but if you're keeping it under 8 hours, you shouldn't need it. IMO

Doesn't Hi Mt say anything about it in their directions?

Bear
they just say 1 1/2 to 2 hours with smoke on and then until IT reaches 165F DO NOT OVER SMOKE

200F sorry I forgot that info
Then I would definitely NOT put water in the pan. They'll be done quick enough to not get too dry (or in English---They'll be moist enough without water in the pan).

However---Cover your pan with foil, and put it in place while smoking. It should always be in place.

Bear

Last edited:
Then I would definitely NOT put water in the pan. They'll be done quick enough to not get too dry (or in English---They'll be moist enough without water in the pan).

However---Cover your pan with foil, and put it in place while smoking. It should always be in place.

Bear
Thanks very much for your help,  would you suggest a different cook temp?  little lower and slower?

Thanks very much for your help,  would you suggest a different cook temp?  little lower and slower?
Probably not for those.

I'm guessing they're pretty thin, like maybe 3/8" to 1/2". If you used a lower temp, you'd have to smoke them longer to get to 160˚/165˚. Then they could get dry or hard.

If they were 3/4" to 1" or more in thickness, I'd do them lower (140˚ to 160˚) for awhile (4 or 5 hours), and then take it to 190˚ or 200˚ to get them to 160˚/165˚. This is just what I would do---Others may differ.

Bear 

Probably not for those.

I'm guessing they're pretty thin, like maybe 3/8" to 1/2". If you used a lower temp, you'd have to smoke them longer to get to 160˚/165˚. Then they could get dry or hard.

If they were 3/4" to 1" or more in thickness, I'd do them lower (140˚ to 160˚) for awhile (4 or 5 hours), and then take it to 190˚ or 200˚ to get them to 160˚/165˚. This is just what I would do---Others may differ.

Bear 

Thansk for the help Bear!  I appreciate it!

Bear is right...Your snack sticks have lots of water in them anyways, so I would not use water in the pan either.

The water pan is used for moisture, heat sink and also a heat deflector in a MES.  I suggest you use it, but don't use any water.  Your snack sticks should get to temp pretty quickly, especially if you don't open the door to peek!!

Are you hanging your sticks or laying them on the racks?

Here's a pic of my EZ Sausage Rack

f07ba214_SausageRacks015.jpg

Todd

Bear is right...Your snack sticks have lots of water in them anyways, so I would not use water in the pan either.

The water pan is used for moisture, heat sink and also a heat deflector in a MES.  I suggest you use it, but don't use any water.  Your snack sticks should get to temp pretty quickly, especially if you don't open the door to peek!!

Todd
They are laying on the racks.  Your right about the temp they are shooting up pretty quick.

Todd
Do you get a more even temp when you hang your sticks? 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky