Help with versatility!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonhans

Original poster
Jan 2, 2016
Been stalking and soaking up all the great info here for awhile without posting. I have a MES30 I have been having a great time with, but it's having electrical issues and I am starting to think bigger. I want to know what the most versatile type of smoker you'd recommend? I want easy and no fuss, $500-700, and something that can do it all! Too much to ask? I'm leaning toward pellet grill, but I'm a noob! I'll keep the mes for cold smoking so don't have to worry about that. I need help and suggestions. Thanks.

Welcome to SMF!

I'd recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Holds temps well, well built & ready to go right out of the box. You could get a couple of them with your budget.

Since this is your first post, would you swing by Roll Call & introduce yourself.

Then we can all give you a proper welcome!

Al

By versatile what do you mean? A question for you is how do you want to cook?

The WSM's are a great smoker if you aren't looking for a mega stick burner. If you remove the body and place the grate on the base you can also use them as a grill. Works excellent for reverse sear. Heck we even use the base of the 18.5 as a fire pit when camping after we're done cooking.

I have the 14.5", 18.5" and four homemade Mini-WSM's. All are rock solid temp wise and produce excellent BBQ. They are as efficient as you can get for solid fuel smokers.

The only thing I don't care for on the WSM's is the charcoal baskets. I wish the sides and the bottom were attached. It would make shaking the ash out of the spent coals easier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky