Help with spice mix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

electricblue

Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Largo, Florida
I'm going to do my first batch of venison summer sausage and I want to get the flavor right before I make a big batch.  I made this recipe and subed beef for venison.  It was very bland.  No flavor.  Can someone help me with some good flavor?
3 lbground venison
1 lbground pork (we use pork butt roasts when we grind to add to our venison hamburger)
4 Tbspmortons tender curing salt
2 tsponion powder
2 tspminced garlic (dry)
2 tspminced onion (dry)
2 tsppeppercorns, coarsely ground
2 tsppaparika
2 tspyellow mustard seed
2 cwater
 heavy duty aluminum foil
 large cookie or baking sheet

I would cut back on the TQ to 1 1/2 tsp per lb of meat and add kosher salt in the mix... Maybe a 1/2 tsp per lb... Omit the dried onion and garlic. use garlic powder and onion powder or I prefer fresh minced garlic....... I would add whole pepper corns along with some black pepper....

That's what I would do

Good luck and don't forget to post some qveiw..........
icon14.gif

Boykjo

If my buddy Joel made it I bet it was good......................

Just got done grinding up a hole deer tonight.  I'm tired...  Now time to find the right spices.  Someone point me on how to do the Qview.

electric,

Do you fry up a sample patty of your sausage prior to stuffing to see about the flavors?  Granted, the patty won't have a smoke flavor, but it will give you an idea about the spices and mouth feel of the mixture.  If the spices are too bland, you can add more and then remix, if the spices are too heavy, you can add more meat or other items to offset.

Charlie

I'm cajun. So I think it needs some red pepper or Cheyenne pepper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky