Help with choosing new budget smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamapig

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
I have a char griller that ive been using for almost 8 years now. Smoked a lot of good stuff on there. But now im ready to purchase a new one. It had the offset smoke box so I have no problem using sticks and charcoal but it became a big hassle constantly fighting to keep it at proper temp. Long smokes the box would fill with ashes and choke itself out and as much as its been used the smoker is getting rough shape wise. The budget is around 400 bucks.

So kinda looking around and came across pellet smokers. I kinda felt like it was cheating but now im a little older and it would be nice to set it and forget it so to speak. But ive seen about half of the reviews saying it doesnt have the smoke flavor and imparts a light smokey flavor. That wont do. It seems very convenient with the meat probes (I already use a maverick et 73 thermometer). Can anyone shed some light on this? Ive always went by the thin blue smoke rule and always had great flavor. Was looking at the traeger 20-22 or cheaper variant.

Next i was looking at the webber smokey mountain and the dyna glo off set smoker. I like the design of the dyna glo much better but the webber seems to be made of thicker and better materials. Ive never used a vertical barrel smoker but im not opposed to it i just need to be sure that i can fit 2 racks of ribs at least on there at a time to smoke. i want to not have to baby it as much as i have been with the char griller. What say the experts? Any other suggestions?

I have a char griller that ive been using for almost 8 years now. Smoked a lot of good stuff on there. But now im ready to purchase a new one. It had the offset smoke box so I have no problem using sticks and charcoal but it became a big hassle constantly fighting to keep it at proper temp. Long smokes the box would fill with ashes and choke itself out and as much as its been used the smoker is getting rough shape wise. The budget is around 400 bucks.

So kinda looking around and came across pellet smokers. I kinda felt like it was cheating but now im a little older and it would be nice to set it and forget it so to speak. But ive seen about half of the reviews saying it doesnt have the smoke flavor and imparts a light smokey flavor. That wont do. It seems very convenient with the meat probes (I already use a maverick et 73 thermometer). Can anyone shed some light on this? Ive always went by the thin blue smoke rule and always had great flavor. Was looking at the traeger 20-22 or cheaper variant.

Next i was looking at the webber smokey mountain and the dyna glo off set smoker. I like the design of the dyna glo much better but the webber seems to be made of thicker and better materials. Ive never used a vertical barrel smoker but im not opposed to it i just need to be sure that i can fit 2 racks of ribs at least on there at a time to smoke. i want to not have to baby it as much as i have been with the char griller. What say the experts? Any other suggestions?
I own a 30" Masterbuilt digital electric smoker--a Gen 1--which I really like. Were I looking for a charcoal smoker that burns wood chunks I would buy the WSM. It's an outstanding smoker and it's really popular. Now, just like their most popular kettle grills, it comes in two sizes" 18.5" and 22'5 and has 2 cooking grates. Two racks of ribs should easily fit in there. In my 22.5" Weber OTS charcoal kettle grill I can fit two racks of ribs on the grate, or 3-4 racks in my Steven Raichlen Rib Rack. The total cooking surface of the WSM is double that of my OTS because of the two cooking grates. I chose the MES 30 since it was my first smoker and knew nothing about smoking, it was relatively cheap, and I specifically wanted an electric smoker since I didn't want to use charcoal or propane as my cooking fuel.

Stay away from Traeger's. One of the common complaints is that they're drafty and it's a lot of work to maintain a constant temp. One of my brothers-in-law who owns one always complains about that. My MES 30 is subject to temp swings during its first 2-3 heating cycles then it settles down to stay (within a few degrees plus or minus) on my set point. The 22 in. WSM checks in at $400 on Amazon but there may be lower prices. The new Masterbuilt electric digital Gen 2.5 Bluetooth and non- can be had for under $400. If you were considering a propane smoker for under $300, I've heard really good things about Smoke Hollow. We're friends with a married couple and the wife gave her husband one of those and he just loves it.

Last edited:
Bama this isn't a direct answer but maybe an option. I have a stick burner, vertical offset and working on a reverse flow. Shorter smokes like ribs and such most of the time I enjoy the babysitting. Cold beer espn and I'm good to go. I'm looking at maybe an MES for the longer smokes like brisket. Say 6 to midnight babysit the sticks then move to the electric. Basically an outside oven that I can add smoke to. Just a thought

I don't want propane. Definitely charcoal or pellet. Budget is around 400. Something kinda turns me off about the Webber shape. Never used a barrel smoker I've always used the offset smoker box but it does get great reviews

Can't go wrong with a WSM,surf the threads here and ask anyone who has one.The price range you stated is comprised of A LOT of junk that isn't worth half of what they ask for.Pellet grills as you mentioned do not produce any quantity of quality smoke over about 250* range,it's the nature of the beast.If you are seeking set it and forget it,a WSM is the best in your budget that I know of.

I haven’t used a WSM but I started my smoking on a Brinkmann barrel smoker. The Webber is way better in every aspect of design and function. Last December I needed to replace my Brinkmann due to wear and tear. I went with the Oklahoma Joe Highland due to a very special price during a clearance sale st Walmart. I have no regrets about my decision but it is an offset that does need to be tended. I can recommend the OKJ without hesitation but in the end you have to decide what is worth your budget. Honestly if I wanted a set and forget setup I would personally go with an MES electric and then add the AmazN smoking tray. I just discovered that for me the tending of my smoker is a big part the enjoyment I experience from my barbecue. I doubt that I will ever go back. I will however consider a higher end model made from at least 1/4” steel. That will be the last one I’ll ever need to buy. The guys are right about limited choices at the sub $400 price point. The Webber Smokey Mountain has the best quality in that price range but the OKJ is made from a decent thickness of steel and does fall into your price range. The pellet grills in your price range are going to be pretty small. If that isn’t an issue then you could consider one for sure. Just remember if something breaks down it is basically a computerized grill and can’t be used without replacing defective hardware. An offset has the most basic design you can get from a smoker. This is just my two plus cents on the subject. I hope that it helps.

George

Only you can decide whats most important to you. Everyone is on a budget. The link is to BD's step by step on a Very nice piece of equipment which is fairly easily made. AND you get a great multi-task unit at a very reasonable price. These things once BD posted were like wildfire. Everyone was making them. Take a look and if you have a question send BD a message. It allows you to buy the special equipment you'll need for smoking and have a great smoker all on a pauper's pay check. Good luck and look forward to seeing you smoking on a new smoker!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ing-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain-mwsm.178390/

You've mentioned pellet smoker a couple times and 400$ budget. That's what i paid for my Pit Boss 700. I'm nowhere near an expert on any of this like a lot of people on this forum truly are, but i can tell you I'm very happy with it and its performance. Just today i also got an AMAZEN 12" tube I'm gonna incorporate into a brisket smoke I'm planning on doing near future. But as far as the ribs / chicken / sausages ive already done on it , the smokiness has been very well received by myself / family. I do prefer it to my electric ( MES 30 ) I upgraded from. Just my humble 2 cents on the topic.

WSM 22.5 gets my vote!
Well constructed, runs perfectly right out of the box.
Holds temps very steady & can run over 20 hours on one load of charcoal & wood chunks.
And the price is $399.
Al

Bama, with the budget your talking about I'd also recommend the 22" WSM. Don't worry about bullet type smokers they're easy to use and there's more then enough people on this site that use them and are willing to help with any questions. I don't have any shots of ribs, but this will give you an idea of available space on the WSM. The link is for a 15+ pound turkey I did not to long ago.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/1st-try-at-a-smoked-turkey.274867/

Chris

Have you considered the Weber kettle? It makes some amazing cooks. I don't use my gasser anymore since getting a Weber Preformer off craig's list.

BTW....war eagle
I enjoy using both my MES 30 Gen 1 for smoking and my 22" Weber kettle grill. I'm smoking beef ribs for the first time this week. One of the racks looks to be too long for the smoker. Still deciding whether to chop it in two or just throw that and the much smaller 2nd rack on the Weber over indirect heat and toss some hickory chunks onto the coals.

I will chime in with my vote and say, spend $299 on a Pit Barrel Cooker (great flavor, ease of use, good capacity when hanging) and then use the extra $100 to find a nice Weber Kettle on facebook marketplace or craigslist. I am a big fan of the WSM as well, but portability is important to me and the Pit Barrel Cooker is very easy to transport.
I've read about those Pit Barrel Cookers and similar smokers. Yeah, they're very popular. I've owned a Weber Kettle Grill for over 25 years. I wouldn't grill on anything else. I also use it a smoker when I don't feel like dragging out my MES 30.

And this may be a silly question but...you really own all that gear listed in your sig? ¡Muy impresionante! Sorry, a brief spell of Spanish language just came over me.

I enjoy using both my MES 30 Gen 1 for smoking and my 22" Weber kettle grill. I'm smoking beef ribs for the first time this week. One of the racks looks to be too long for the smoker. Still deciding whether to chop it in two or just throw that and the much smaller 2nd rack on the Weber over indirect heat and toss some hickory chunks onto the coals.

You don't need to cut it! Do it cowboy style and just "Circle up the wagons!"

001.JPG

002.JPG

Works fine, fails safe, drains to the bilge!

I just sold my MES 30 for $140. I think I got it on sale for $199. No complaints. I would definitely buy one again. I just got a stick burner built out of an old fridge. Like going from a Prius to a Suburban! Do what you can do but you can't go wrong with a MES for the money.

Reactions: daricksta
I’ll throw another vote for the WSM. You can cook everything but whole hog and I would put the food that comes off of it up against any charcoal beard cooker on the market. I abused mine for five years and now my friend has had it for two years and it’s still going strong.

Lance

Reactions: daricksta
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky