HELP with Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtiernay

Original poster
May 8, 2021
I picked up a 14lb whole packer brisket (first time smoking a whole packer). Trimmed it up and threw it on my traeger at 225 last night around 8:15PM. Thinking this cook would take about 14 hours or so, I got up around 3:15AM to check on it and my instant read probe was reading 205 degrees -- how is that possible? I checked the point and the flat and everywhere was north of 200 degrees. 7 hours later and this thing is done? Does brisket have a mind of its own? Am I screwed because I didn't wrap at 165? I pulled it off, wrapped it in butcher paper and have it in my oven. Thinking I'm going to grab some towels and throw it in a cooler. I need to serve this up for lunch today around noon. What suggestions do you have for keeping it warm and juicy to serve?

I picked up a 14lb whole packer brisket (first time smoking a whole packer). Trimmed it up and threw it on my traeger at 225 last night around 8:15PM. Thinking this cook would take about 14 hours or so, I got up around 3:15AM to check on it and my instant read probe was reading 205 degrees -- how is that possible? I checked the point and the flat and everywhere was north of 200 degrees. 7 hours later and this thing is done? Does brisket have a mind of its own? Am I screwed because I didn't wrap at 165? I pulled it off, wrapped it in butcher paper and have it in my oven. Thinking I'm going to grab some towels and throw it in a cooler. I need to serve this up for lunch today around noon. What suggestions do you have for keeping it warm and juicy to serve?

Should be fine, I would definately pull at least an hour before you need to cut it up. I also rest wrapped in towels in a cooler. Turns out great each time. Even if you need to rest it a little longer I have rested them for 4 hours in the cooler. Still steamin hot when I cut it up LOL!

Most all the big BBQ restaurants have holding boxes or ovens with some level of steam that they use to store cooked briskets until they are needed and they hold them there overnight at least.
I know Franklin does it as does SmokeyJoes here in Austin.
I tried but my electric oven won't go that low and I don't want to keep cooking it until it turns to mush.
Test how low your oven really goes before assuming the digital read out is accurate.

I’d do the same as smokinal. Lowest temp on your oven usually 170F. Or if you have a vacuum sealer and sous vide, I’d seal it in a bag with some beef stock to keep it juicy

Like Chasdev said check your oven temps with a remote. Set at 170 mine swings from about 155 all the way to 185! I gave up finishing smoked sausage in the oven because of that. That 170 setting is the average.
At higher temps like 350 there is hardly any swing, though.
Once heated up you can turn off the heat and the oven will stay hot for a long time if you keep the door closed....

What to do at this point has been covered above. How sure are you of the 225º on your traeger? Have you used a calibrated therm to know what the actual grate temp is with it set to 225º? Generally, yes meat has a mind of its own and it can't tell time either. Having a remote thermometer setup can be very helpful to monitor temps, both grate and IT. The 7 hours to get to over 200º sounds like the actual grate temp might have been higher.

Reactions: jcam222
What to do at this point has been covered above. How sure are you of the 225º on your traeger? Have you used a calibrated therm to know what the actual grate temp is with it set to 225º? Generally, yes meat has a mind of its own and it can't tell time either. Having a remote thermometer setup can be very helpful to monitor temps, both grate and IT. The 7 hours to get to over 200º sounds like the actual grate temp might have been higher.
On addition I’d check the thermometer that says the brisket is 205F. Was it probe tender?

Y’all are awesome. I stuck in the oven with a little beef broth at 170. Just cut into it, and my gawd, she’s succulent.

oddly enough it was probe tender, Traeger was rolling at 225 pretty solid with minimal swings (weather was fine). Do you all find that the Traeger probe is inaccurate? I always use 2 probes bc I don’t trust it. The greatest answer I can come up with is that sometimes briskets have a mind of their own? Really appreciate the help.

Reactions: copulas
Great news!
In addition to probe tender you may have noticed that the entire brisket was floppy and loose and would shake like jello if bounced up/down.
I saw a BBQ show which highlighted an older lady pitmaster who used the shake test rather than probing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky