help with a timing question on a butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

point blank

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Iowa
I have a 10 pound butt that has been chugging along since early this morning and looking great so far.  However, I am trying to time things right as there is a lot going on today.  I am looking to serve our softball team tonight at a 7 :00 pm get together.  Here is the question.  I am shooting to hit 205 degrees and have it in the cooler to rest by 4:30-5:00, but the way things are looking, I may be there a bit sooner.  I will be basically unavailable from 5:30-7 pm tonight.   Question- if the meat is done sooner, should I pull it early and keep it warm in a roaster til we eat, or would it be better to just keep foiled, wrapped, and in the cooler then do a qick pull right before serving time at 7:00??  Any other suggestions??

Also, I am planning on doing a batch of Dutch's beans as well.  If I get them smoked and cooked up, can they sit in a crock pot for 1-2 hours without affecting anything? 

Thanks for any help guys.

Finish it and wrap in towels, put it in the cooler and it will hold 4+ hours easily...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky