help with a timing question on a butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by point blank, Aug 14, 2011.

1. point blank

point blank Fire Starter

I have a 10 pound butt that has been chugging along since early this morning and looking great so far.  However, I am trying to time things right as there is a lot going on today.  I am looking to serve our softball team tonight at a 7 :00 pm get together.  Here is the question.  I am shooting to hit 205 degrees and have it in the cooler to rest by 4:30-5:00, but the way things are looking, I may be there a bit sooner.  I will be basically unavailable from 5:30-7 pm tonight.   Question- if the meat is done sooner, should I pull it early and keep it warm in a roaster til we eat, or would it be better to just keep foiled, wrapped, and in the cooler then do a qick pull right before serving time at 7:00??  Any other suggestions??

Also, I am planning on doing a batch of Dutch's beans as well.  If I get them smoked and cooked up, can they sit in a crock pot for 1-2 hours without affecting anything? 

Thanks for any help guys.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Finish it and wrap in towels, put it in the cooler and it will hold 4+ hours easily...JJ

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I've kept them in a cooler for over 6 hours & they were still too hot to pull without gloves.

4. point blank

point blank Fire Starter

good enough, thanks guys!

5. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

They will stay hot for hours in a cooler.