Help, should I toss or serve my brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Noel_806

Original poster
Jul 11, 2021
I started my smoker at 250 at about 9pm, the brisket was well seasoned with salt, garlic, pepper on the meat side not fat cap, the last time I checked the brisket was at about 120 around 1am, i set my alarms and wake up to my brisket 5.5hours later at IT 90, immediately put in the oven at 350 to bring up the temp, the brisket had probe holes other than that it was intact, what should I do, im planning on cooking over the 215 IT as it is shredded brisket.

As Jim and Steve said above, keep going. And buy a digital thermometer set up that you can program hi-lo alarms. Do you know why the smoker lost temp?

Reactions: Noel_806
I started my smoker at 250 at about 9pm, the brisket was well seasoned with salt, garlic, pepper on the meat side not fat cap, the last time I checked the brisket was at about 120 around 1am, i set my alarms and wake up to my brisket 5.5hours later at IT 90, immediately put in the oven at 350 to bring up the temp, the brisket had probe holes other than that it was intact, what should I do, im planning on cooking over the 215 IT as it is shredded brisket.
If we assume that the brisket was in a 250° smoker for 3 to 4 hours before the fire started to die out, it's almost a sure thing that the surface of the meat (where any bacteria would be living) was over the 140° needed to kill them. You did a good recovery, most people forget about using the oven in a pinch.

It will never get there UNTIL all the moisture is gone from the meat...
Cook it to 7 deg. below the boiling point of water for your elevation... Hold it there for maybe 1/2 hour...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky