HELP! Problems at start of smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brian Welch

Original poster
Jul 27, 2018
Hello all, I'm currently doing my first smoke ever in an MS 30 electric smoker. I seasoned it. Then I let it cool. I emptied everything, preheated to 220 and put the water in the tray and the meat on the racks. Then added wood. When I went to check on it the temp was like 280 and all kinds of white smoke that burned my eyes. I thought I put in too much wood. I cleared it out. Put in only 2 pieces. Turned it back on. Same thing. Tried it without wood, same thing. Called Masterbuilt and come to find out it's the extension cord. My wife ran to walmart and got a proper 12 gauge cord, and it seems to be holding temp now. I'm going to add some wood back in. My questions are this:

When I plugged it back in (I'd say no power for a full 30-40 mins, but was really hot when I unplugged) my meat was at around 103 and the smoker temp was around 140. If I count counter time out of the fridge and time in the smoker it was a little over 90 mins. As long as I have the meat up to 140 within 4 hours from time out of the fridge will I still be OK or did this pause and dip in temp really mess it up? I don't wanna make people sick.

The other question - will these periods of white smoke make it taste really awful? They weren't long, maybe 10 mins each.

Thanks to anyone who can help! I love reading the forums!

Hello all, I'm currently doing my first smoke ever in an MS 30 electric smoker. I seasoned it. Then I let it cool. I emptied everything, preheated to 220 and put the water in the tray and the meat on the racks. Then added wood. When I went to check on it the temp was like 280 and all kinds of white smoke that burned my eyes. I thought I put in too much wood. I cleared it out. Put in only 2 pieces. Turned it back on. Same thing. Tried it without wood, same thing. Called Masterbuilt and come to find out it's the extension cord. My wife ran to walmart and got a proper 12 gauge cord, and it seems to be holding temp now. I'm going to add some wood back in. My questions are this:

When I plugged it back in (I'd say no power for a full 30-40 mins, but was really hot when I unplugged) my meat was at around 103 and the smoker temp was around 140. If I count counter time out of the fridge and time in the smoker it was a little over 90 mins. As long as I have the meat up to 140 within 4 hours from time out of the fridge will I still be OK or did this pause and dip in temp really mess it up? I don't wanna make people sick.

The other question - will these periods of white smoke make it taste really awful? They weren't long, maybe 10 mins each.

Thanks to anyone who can help! I love reading the forums!
Hi there and welcome!

I think will be ok on both accounts. Just cook away and keep an eye on things.

I don't see how the extension cord allowed it to go to 280F if the cord was underpowered. I believe the opposite would have happened.

Know that the smoker and meat thermometer probes are always off/bad with the MES so when you get a chance get your hands on a good wiresless Dual probe (or more) thermometer. I usually recommend the ThermoPro Tp-20 dual probe but many good ones are out there. Use 1 probe to tell you what the smoker temp is at meat level and the other probe you stab into the meat for the meats Internal Temp (IT). This will also give you MUCH more accurate temp readings since the onboard MES readings can't be trusted.

After a good dual probe or more wireless thermometer you may want to start looking into the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray or tube so you can generate perfect Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) without having to baby sit the thing. The tray can do smoke up to like 9-12+ hours if you need :)

Again just keep an eye on it and report back.

I think you will get more help than this but I can add a little something. I have been around a cooker that had some temp and smoke issues during mid-cook. At one point we pulled some meat off of one of the butts and the taste was acrid, that of an ashtray. But they rolled with it, and by the end of the cook, the taste was fine. Because of that I always say wait until it's finished to judge, but you should be ok in that regard.

Thank you both so much!!! I feel better. :) I don't know the mechanics of how it was the extension cord, but it was. The masterbuilt support lady called it in like 30 seconds. I told her what was happening and she said "you're using an extension cord right?" LOL. It must have to do with the electronics. With a 12 gauge cord it's working quite evenly.

I had heard that about the temp probes on these units - thanks for the recommendation. I shall be shopping this afternoon on Amazon.

I'm also intrigued by the AMNPS - I'll be looking into that too!!!

Thank you both so much!!! I feel better. :) I don't know the mechanics of how it was the extension cord, but it was. The masterbuilt support lady called it in like 30 seconds. I told her what was happening and she said "you're using an extension cord right?" LOL. It must have to do with the electronics. With a 12 gauge cord it's working quite evenly.

I had heard that about the temp probes on these units - thanks for the recommendation. I shall be shopping this afternoon on Amazon.

I'm also intrigued by the AMNPS - I'll be looking into that too!!!

Most folks don't know, but the problem with an extension cord that is too small is the voltage drop. When the voltage drops, the amps climb.
The high amperage draw causes the overheating because it throws everything out of wack.
That's why it corrected the problem with the heavier gauge wire. (Number 12 is good for 20 amps)
Lamp cord extension cords are dangerous for things that can draw higher amperage's.
And is why Masterbuilt does not like anyone using an extension cord.

When you plugged it back in, it's likely the over temperature device was still open and that's why it didn't take right off.

Now, you said you, "Put in only 2 pieces." :confused: The MES smokers use chips in their native state. Not "wood".
So it's highly conceivable to me you created a semi-fire in your smoker. Which could also cause the higher temperature.
It certainly caused the smoke. Unless renderings from your meat was dripping onto the element. (The pan doesn't catch everything)

No matter how it comes out, eat the evidence. Nobody will recognize it again. Read the manual, get fine wood chips to feed your smoker.
Or, best scenario, get the AMNPS ordered and some pellet fuel. Many here use the AMNPS set on the lowest shelf of their MES smokers. Others do various other modifications, and abandon the chip feeder and tray all together.
(Hand in the air here)
Do some easy things to try, like hot dogs. Hot dogs can give you a safe medium to learn with. Burnt or raw they won't hurt you. (In spite of what Doctors and Nervous Nellie's say)

I put a lot of fuel through mine just playing with it and experimenting before I ever put meat in it. Including getting TBS (thin blue smoke). Boys and their toys!
Slow down, don't expect perfection out of the box, heed all warnings and instructions, use the right fuel (fine chips).

Yep. What they said. One thing I will add--don't fill the water dish with water. Your MES is a very air tight smoker, and as such, it does NOT need added water. I just filled my water dish with sand as a heat sink and covered it over with foil to keep everything clean.
Gary

Reactions: SonnyE
An update on last night. And when I say night, I mean like 11 PM. These things took like 10 hours, even though they were only 3-4 pounds. I now have a complete understanding of "the stall"We ate dinner in courses. It was delicious though!!! I'm sorry I failed to get pics, we were just so hungry, plus we had 3 kids yelling for food, so we weren't thinking clear.

Tonight's meal will be mildly ambitious but not as much as pulled pork, I'm doing baby back ribs. I'll start off with something well recommended and do the 2-2-1 method.

SonnyE - I wasn't clear when I said what I was adding - I actually purchased the masterbuilt wood chips. By pieces I just meant chips. I definitely have the AMNPS on my list.

I really can't thank you all enough for your help during my crisis and the advice - it's much appreciated.

Reactions: 73saint
An update on last night. And when I say night, I mean like 11 PM. These things took like 10 hours, even though they were only 3-4 pounds. I now have a complete understanding of "the stall"We ate dinner in courses. It was delicious though!!! I'm sorry I failed to get pics, we were just so hungry, plus we had 3 kids yelling for food, so we weren't thinking clear.

Tonight's meal will be mildly ambitious but not as much as pulled pork, I'm doing baby back ribs. I'll start off with something well recommended and do the 2-2-1 method.

SonnyE - I wasn't clear when I said what I was adding - I actually purchased the masterbuilt wood chips. By pieces I just meant chips. I definitely have the AMNPS on my list.

I really can't thank you all enough for your help during my crisis and the advice - it's much appreciated.

The community here is fantastic, I'm glad everyone came through for you!

Yeah as you start to smoke more you'll get an idea that plenty of stuff just takes plenty of time.
With Pork Butt/Shoulder and Brisket I always recommend that people try and plan to finish 4-6 hours early. With those cuts you can double wrap in foil and then wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter (or in a cooler) and 4 hours later you open it up for pulling/slicing and it is steaming hot! Crazy, I know! If you don't finish early then you may more likely come out on time or just past time :)
Just know that at 275F a pork butt/shoulder or brisket should take about 1 hour'ish per pound and those cuts don't care if you go 275F on them.

Keep it up and enjoy it!

Like Dory sez, "Just keep Swimming, Just keep swimming...." ;) :D
Realize that the 3,2,1 or 2,2,1 is 5-6 hours, Plus processing time. So do plan accordingly to avoid upsets.
When I did my first 3,2,1 Ribs, <<<(Dats a link) I thought the dog and I were going to starve waiting! Started at 9 AM and it was after 3 PM when he and I dug in.
I was whining, but nobody was here to listen but the dog. And he's deaf. :confused:
Anyway, just keep swimming, and you will be pumpin out smoked meat the family will LOVE!
Lot's of folks are use to microwave convenience. Smoking is not that.
This... is Quality Food. And it takes it's time.
You could do it in a batch, then reheat for the family the next day. Smokey Goodness, Micro-wave fast. ;)

Keep swimming... :D

I ordered my AMNPS through one of my local Home Depot's.

I have infact had a fire in my MES Before for the record. I had mesquite pellets in my AMNPS blended with apple, and apparently, mesquite likes to run hotter, well. About 10 minutes later I get an error code, and the MES is registering 300f, and there is a -glow- in the window. Darn things started on fire some how. Never seen it happen before. So far I don't believe my MES suffered any permanent damage, other then giving me a mild heart attack from panic at the time.

And I've had 6 pounder pork butts take me 14+ hours. I run at 225f for pork butts unless rain is threatened, then I'll turn the heat up to 250f. When you get the AMNPS you can set it going at around 10PM To Midnight, what ever timing you like, and it'll roll smoke for 8 to 12 hours, you can basically set it up, go to bed and wake up, and chances are..still rolling smoke. It's how I do every pork butt now.

Most folks don't know, but the problem with an extension cord that is too small is the voltage drop. When the voltage drops, the amps climb.
The high amperage draw causes the overheating because it throws everything out of wack.
That's why it corrected the problem with the heavier gauge wire. (Number 12 is good for 20 amps)
Lamp cord extension cords are dangerous for things that can draw higher amperage's.
And is why Masterbuilt does not like anyone using an extension cord.

When you plugged it back in, it's likely the over temperature device was still open and that's why it didn't take right off.

Now, you said you, "Put in only 2 pieces." :confused: The MES smokers use chips in their native state. Not "wood".
So it's highly conceivable to me you created a semi-fire in your smoker. Which could also cause the higher temperature.
It certainly caused the smoke. Unless renderings from your meat was dripping onto the element. (The pan doesn't catch everything)

No matter how it comes out, eat the evidence. Nobody will recognize it again. Read the manual, get fine wood chips to feed your smoker.
Or, best scenario, get the AMNPS ordered and some pellet fuel. Many here use the AMNPS set on the lowest shelf of their MES smokers. Others do various other modifications, and abandon the chip feeder and tray all together.
(Hand in the air here)
Do some easy things to try, like hot dogs. Hot dogs can give you a safe medium to learn with. Burnt or raw they won't hurt you. (In spite of what Doctors and Nervous Nellie's say)

I put a lot of fuel through mine just playing with it and experimenting before I ever put meat in it. Including getting TBS (thin blue smoke). Boys and their toys!
Slow down, don't expect perfection out of the box, heed all warnings and instructions, use the right fuel (fine chips).
You know, this all sounds like it makes sense. I’ve got a MES30 and I ordered the shortest 12 gauge cord that I could get away with, I forget the length but it was just enough to get me where I was going and I’ve never had a temp swing problem or any other problem with my unit that most have. Maybe I just lucked out? Either way I’ve got no regrets lol. Also once I pulled my chip loader because I overloaded the tray and smothered it out and forgot about it. When I came back the MES was running a solid 325! I’ve since switched to the AMNPT

Yep. What they said. One thing I will add--don't fill the water dish with water. Your MES is a very air tight smoker, and as such, it does NOT need added water. I just filled my water dish with sand as a heat sink and covered it over with foil to keep everything clean.
Gary
I haven’t filled the water pan for months and the condensation still just rolls down the glass, and there is no difference in what I cook!

You know, this all sounds like it makes sense. I’ve got a MES30 and I ordered the shortest 12 gauge cord that I could get away with, I forget the length but it was just enough to get me where I was going and I’ve never had a temp swing problem or any other problem with my unit that most have. Maybe I just lucked out? Either way I’ve got no regrets lol. Also once I pulled my chip loader because I overloaded the tray and smothered it out and forgot about it. When I came back the MES was running a solid 325! I’ve since switched to the AMNPT

I haven’t filled the water pan for months and the condensation still just rolls down the glass, and there is no difference in what I cook!
As Bear pointed out to me after my first smoke; you never need to fill that water pan in a MES unless you have a specific reason to do so. I have wondered about putting beans in it or some thing to get drippings actually.. lol

I have infact had a fire in my MES Before for the record. I had mesquite pellets in my AMNPS blended with apple, and apparently, mesquite likes to run hotter, well. About 10 minutes later I get an error code, and the MES is registering 300f, and there is a -glow- in the window. Darn things started on fire some how. Never seen it happen before. So far I don't believe my MES suffered any permanent damage, other then giving me a mild heart attack from panic at the time.

And I've had 6 pounder pork butts take me 14+ hours. I run at 225f for pork butts unless rain is threatened, then I'll turn the heat up to 250f. When you get the AMNPS you can set it going at around 10PM To Midnight, what ever timing you like, and it'll roll smoke for 8 to 12 hours, you can basically set it up, go to bed and wake up, and chances are..still rolling smoke. It's how I do every pork butt now.
Wow, I caught the chip tray on fire in mine cause I left the chip tray out. When I got back I could see the glow and the display showed 325, but I didn’t have an error code? I hope that s&!@ isn’t defective!

As Bear pointed out to me after my first smoke; you never need to fill that water pan in a MES unless you have a specific reason to do so. I have wondered about putting beans in it or some thing to get drippings actually.. lol
Never thought of that, the only thing mine does is get cussed at if I accidentally tore a hole in the foil and have to wash it! And I heard a few people on here say not to just leave it out.

Never thought of that, the only thing mine does is get cussed at if I accidentally tore a hole in the foil and have to wash it! And I heard a few people on here say not to just leave it out.

I line mine with foil; but you could use it for a few cans of beans. I've never had much issues cleaning it, I fill a tub with water and some dawn, and leave things to soak for a day in it, scrub them off and take a hose to them, pretty much makes them clean every time..but I do want to try the bean thing some time in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky