Help! - Over powering taste of smoke!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wright_1

Original poster
Hi all, I’m new to smoking but I’ve been watching the YouTube videos for months, and decided to buy a Masterbuild Electric smoker. I’ve smoked two things, yesterday baby back ribs, and today just a simple Aldi beef joint 0.857kg just to practice on. I am using maple wood, but each time the meat comes out tasting of just smoke. I fill the cylinder about 3/4 full and I leave it….I don’t add more, I just leave the wood chips in the tray for the whole cook, I did not cover the meat in either cases but I do have a thermometer where I can read the temp of the meat outside without opening the door….how do I make the meat taste of meat and not just smoke?

The smoke will penetrate the food to a certain depth/. I have to tell you when I smoke, the meat is smokey and no longer resemble what it would taste like if just cooked in an oven. Tasty but different. Try using less wood.

Bit more info might help others provide some help. ex) Did you keep the top vent open all the way for the entire time or was it mostly shut? What temp did you have the smoker set at? Which MES model are you using?

It's unusual to get heavy smoke flavor from an electric. Sounds like dirty smoke from soaked chips and stale flow-thru. If you are using a water pan and/or spraying the ribs, smoke, especially bad smoke, will adhere to the condensation on the colder ribs.

There's good smoke and bad smoke. Many new smokers think the more smoke the better.

And there's a TON of bad visuals on YouTube by smokers. Thin blue smoke is not very dramatic, so they take shots when the smoker is roiling with white or gray bad smoke. That leaves folks with the impression that's how it's supposed to be.

I kept the vent fully closed, if I kept it open, the MES would loose temperature. I noticed 5-8 degree fluctuations from the 102 degrees C it was programmed at, using the smokers own temperature display. I took the meat out with an internal temp of 66 degrees C. The chips were not soaked in any water, straight out of the bag. I’m using a MES130B. I want to taste a lightly medium smoke, where I can still taste some of the flavour the meat/fat has & the bark, but the smoke I'm getting over powers all of this, to an almost sickly taste.

The link below shows the chips I'm using.

Last edited:
Your problem is that you didn’t leave the top vent fully open. You have to have good air flow to keep clean smoke circulating thru the cook chamber.
Al
Thanks for this - should I just use the internal temperature of the meat as opposed to being fixated on the smoker temperature when the MES Units temperature fluctuates, is this normal? Also - how much wood chips should you use?

Thanks for this - should I just use the internal temperature of the meat as opposed to being fixated on the smoker temperature when the MES Units temperature fluctuates, is this normal? Also - how much wood chips should you use?
Your smoker will fluctuate in temp just like an electric oven. Don’t be too concerned with that. You are right to monitor the IT of the meat. Really cooking anywhere between 225-300 F, won’t change much except the time it takes to cook. As far as the chips, most of the guys with electric smokers use a pellet tray or tube for smoke instead of the chip loader. Search for the “mailbox mod”. If you continue to use chips, with the top vent fully open. I would add a handful every 45 minutes or so. Good luck!
Al

Last edited:
Your smoker will fluctuate in temp just like an electric oven. Don’t be too concerned with that. You are right to monitor the IT of the meat. Really cooking anywhere between 225-300 F, won’t change much except the time it takes to cook. As far as the chips, most of the guys with electric smokers use a pellet tray or tube for smoke instead of the chip loader. Search for the “mailbox mod”. If you continue to use chips, with the top vent fully open. I would add a handful every 45 minutes or so. Good luck!
Al
Thank you Al for this invaluable information...and thank you everyone else for your help on this. Right - Off to the shop for another beef joint!

Reactions: JLeonard
Al has you lined out. Good luck on your next cook. Also look at Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq on Amazon for a good 4 probe thermometer. The thermometer on your cooker is probably way off. Inkbird runs discounts on here regularly.
Look forward to more pics and posts.
Jim

Beef and chicken will take on lots of smoke pretty quickly also, so if your doing a long smoke maybe cut the smoke half way through if the other suggestions you got dont work to achieve the taste your looking for.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hang in there. You’ll get it figured out. I ruined a ton of bacon my first couple of times. It tasted like a tire fire. I had deep regrets buying the MES. Then I found this site. Folks here were a HUGE help.

Not one to be beaten, I bought some chicken thigh fillets and I've smashed them out the park!! Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I heated the smoker up with the chips instead of loading the chips in the same time as the meat. Internal temp of 170 F, fantastic BBQ Rub with a Garlic Aioli Dip.. Thanks again everyone, this forum is excellent!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 2.45.53 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 2.45.53 PM (1).jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 2.45.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 2.45.53 PM.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 9
Glad you got it figured out. As mentioned, an additional thermometer to verify cook chamber temps and meat temps is very nice as the MES is not real accurate normally.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky