Help needed on Chuck Eyes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
West Liberty, Iowa
A friend of mine had a steer butchered and told me he slipped a couple of pieces into my freezer. The labels say “chuck roll (eye)”. They are almost round, about 3 ½ - 4 inches across and roughly 16 inches long 8 – 10 pounds. Because of the way they are frozen and wrapped I cannot see what they look like so I went over to the butcher shop to ask about them. The butcher told me they were chuck eyes, very lean, and I would really like them. My nephew and his family will be coming up from Missouri in a couple of weeks to buy my mother’s car and I’d like to smoke one of the chuck eyes for their visit.   I’ve done chuck clods and chuck roasts, but this one’s new for me. The way the package looks it reminds me of a full tenderloin. Any ideas on this one?

Arnie myman Hows it goin? Do you plan on pulling it to make BBQ beef out of it?

or slice it to use in a puff pastry?  My next favorite thing to try. you should be able to smoke it just like you dfid the shoulder clod.

SOB

Last edited:
SOB, I’m doing well. How have you been? Thanks to your help my butcher now thinks I know what I’m doing so if he knows the meat is for me he takes real good care of me. He didn’t know these chuck eyes were for me, but was really pleased when I told him I ended up with them.

I don’t have a plan yet. Not being able to see the meat I’m not sure what I want to do.

I was kind of thinking pulling it for BBQ, but my butcher told me these two pieces of meat were almost as lean as the tri tips I’ve been doing.

I’m looking for ideas and/or direction, and I haven’t been steered wrong here yet.

Tell me more about using it in a puff pastry. That sounds interesting.

Chuck eye steaks are what I use to grind for awesome burgers. I have grilled them like regular steaks but when I buy them they are thin so it only takes a couple of minutes to cook. They are really tasty by the way. Sounds like you got the whole piece uncut. I would smoke it to medium rare and then sear it on a super hot grill. I do that when I cook a beef tenderloin, works out great. Good luck!

Hey Arnie,

I gotta see what these are too.

I get eye round roasts that are about that diameter, but the ones I get are only about 7" or 8" long.

They're the ones I used to make my Dried Beef (below in my signature, under "Dried Beef").

When you thaw one or more out, can you give us a look-see?

Thanks Arnie,

Bear

I'm pretty sure this is the same cut that I used to make thin sliced roast beef. 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/fo...time-making-deli-style-roast-beef#post_553497

If so, it is really lean.  I'm not so sure I'd try to pull it unless you're gonna serve it pre-sauced.  Mine came out dry.  I'd suggest injecting it and smoking it to a medium or less temp and serving it sliced on on bread with a side of au jus.  I'd smoke at around 225* pull it off when the internal hits 140*.

icon_cool.gif

I would smoke it like you do  raost or a chuckie and then like The dude said and slice it and make some yummy sammies too. 

The chuck eye is just that: it's the eye of the chuck, kissin' cousin to the rib-eye (delmonico) from the rib.  Follow the same seam from the rib eye to the chuck eye; looks a lot like a rib eye as it is from the same muscle. A couple pictures of chuck eye steaks:

26b68869_chuckeyesteaks.jpg

c5dfbc1c_chuckeyesteak.jpg

whole chuck eye rolls:  steaks are cut from:

c6e5c717_chuck-roll.jpg

ae72a3d2_Chuck_roll.gif

Where it's located on the chuck roast/steak:

1740f341_chuckroast2.jpg

Like I said, these are kissin' cousins to the rib eye and just about as tender and flavorful.  It's the center of the chuck roast or steak:

it is our no. 1 preferred steak of all at our house!  They're known as "The Butcher's Secret Cut" because only the meatcutter knows how good they are!  Hope this helps identify this wonderful cut of beef!

Last edited:
Pops rocks it again - what beautiful shots and great explanation - Thank you kind sir

I agree with RdKnB & Scarbelly, Pops always drops in to clear up any confusion!

So the things I made into Dried Beef were the "EYE" of the Round, and these things that Arnie has are the "EYE" of the Chuck.

Thanks Again Pops!

Bear

You DA"MAN Pops!!!   As Pops said chuck Eye steaks ARE the butchers Secret Cut.  I have been able to inform enough customers where I work that they don't hardly last a day out in the case. Arnie we are gonna need to see some pictures to accuratley help you. Sounds a little too long to be a chuck eye....
confused.gif

SOB 

WOW! You guys are nothing short of awesome! If I hang around here long enough I know I’m gonna learn something.

I was going to wait until I thawed it out to unwrap it, but I see now that just can’t happen, and my curiosity is killing me.

Somehow I managed to lose the pictures somewhere between my camera and laptop 3 times, but I did finally salvage one, without calling my son for help.

It does appear to have some good marbling and is tied together with butcher string. What do you think? What are my options?

3a2e14c9_ChuckRolleye.jpg

MMMMmmmm.......

I think it'll look better with a nice little crust on it, and nice & pink & juicy inside!

Just dreaming again!

Bear

Smoked like a prime rib or tri tip?

What would you build the crust with?

Personally, I would just keep it simple, with a nice coat of Worcestershire (New "Thick" Stuff). Then CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Over night in fridge, and ready to smoke the next day.

Bear

Originally Posted by Bearcarve

Personally, I would just keep it simple, with a nice coat of Worcestershire (New "Thick" Stuff). Then CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Over night in fridge, and ready to smoke the next day.

Bear
That sounds good. Would you smoke it at about 225 to an internal temp of about 145 with a little hickory and maybe a piece of cherry thrown in for good luck? I'm gonna stick it in the mancave fridge to thaw today

So, is this piece of meat actually a chuck roll, chuck eye, or what?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bearcarve

Bear
That sounds good. Would you smoke it at about 225 to an internal temp of about 145 with a little hickory and maybe a piece of cherry thrown in for good luck? I'm gonna stick it in the mancave fridge to thaw today

So, is this piece of meat actually a chuck roll, chuck eye, or what?

225˚--230˚ would be great!

I would probably take it to 138˚---pull it, cover it, and let it coast to about 142˚, but that's me.

I would do it just like the "Prime Rib" in my signature "step by step" below. Take a look.

Don't forget the Qview,

Bear

Bear,

Now that looks good. I believe I’ll try that, Q-View to follow.

I just left a buddies house and his wife was doing a brisket in the oven. He was telling me about this $70 brisket their son gave them that was so big they had to cut it into 3 pieces to roast it and this was the last brisket roast of the bunch. I’m like there ain’t no brisket that big and at $2 a pound that would be one huge cow. So he says it was $4.50 a pound, a little better than 15 lbs. About that time his wife comes in to baste the brisket and pulls out a prime rib that looked about as good as your Q-View. He still thinks it’s a brisket. Oh well

SOB,

Will do, I plan on Q-Viewing this puppy. I agree, I can't get a good look at it myself

Thanks for the direction

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky