Help, Looking for a specific cast iron dutch oven.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyoutback

Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Hello Folks,
I would appreciate anyones help with this. My brother had a dutch oven that was capable of cooking multiple sage hens for example, maybe 3 or 4.
It had ridges in the bottom. This is why it was his very favorite. It disappeared at camp a few years ago, grew legs and walked off I am guessing.
I can not find one anywhere or even find a picture of what one might look like. I do not believe it was an antique but something purchase in the last 20 years or so.
Thank you so much for anyone that may be able to help.
Jim

I'd take a look at the Lodge website for starters if you haven't done so already.

There is a big variety of sizes and shapes, of CI Dutch Oven and Roasters, with Grill Ridges in the Lid. But nothing I can find, new, with Ridges inside the base. Since there are so many recipes for baked goods, Biscuits, Cobbler, etc., that need a Flat Bottom DO and Meats that are Seared before Braising and you develop and scrape the Fonde. Not to mention, soups, stews and beans that must be stired so the bottom don't Burn ...It seems a Ridged Bottom DO would be impractical, unusual or a specific companies unique design, with a purpose all its own...

What was the Benefit of the Ridges in the bottom ?
Ridges in the Lid will drip condensating juices back over the meat evenly, basting the meat...JJ

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Four Sage Hens is equivalent to four fryer chickens, so you're looking at a 20qt DO.

Dang! Biggest I ever saw or played with was the 13 1/4 Quart Le Crueset. And THAT was a Monster. I think $560 for it is Nuts but hey if you got that kind of money, they sure are sweet cookers...JJ

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I have never seen a DO with ridges cast into the bottom interior or exterior.
Old scout leader here so I have seen what I think is all inclusive.
I have seen cast iron (CI) and regular racks that fit the bottom of a DO.
Game or Cornish hens?
A 6 qt will hold 3-4 Cornish. I cooked 8 in a (don't remember the size) in a smooth bottom and no rack. coals surround the bottom and many placed around the lid

Four Sage Hens is equivalent to four fryer chickens, so you're looking at a 20qt DO.

Ridges on the interior or exterior?

Round or oblong in shape?
Handles on sides?
Legs?
Hi, thanks for your response. The ridges were on the inside in the bottom of the Dutch. It was oblong with handles on the ends. I may be wrong as to the size. It seems like we had 4 small sage hens in it at one time. I'm assuming that is what it was made for but not positive.

There is a big variety of sizes and shapes, of CI Dutch Oven and Roasters, with Grill Ridges in the Lid. But nothing I can find, new, with Ridges inside the base. Since there are so many recipes for baked goods, Biscuits, Cobbler, etc., that need a Flat Bottom DO and Meats that are Seared before Braising and you develop and scrape the Fonde. Not to mention, soups, stews and beans that must be stired so the bottom don't Burn ...It seems a Ridged Bottom DO would be impractical, unusual or a specific companies unique design, with a purpose all its own...

What was the Benefit of the Ridges in the bottom ?
Ridges in the Lid will drip condensating juices back over the meat evenly, basting the meat...JJ
Hi, I am assuming the benefit of the ridges in the bottom were to keep the birds off the bottom of the Dutch. I am not a pro DO cook but that is why my brother was so in love with this DO. It must be very unusual as I cannot even find a picture of one on internet..
Thank you for your response. Hoping someone out there might know s omthing.

You are Welcome. I was intrigued and spent quite a bit of time searching. There just seems to be nothing currently made that fits the bill...JJ

I am not finding anything either from vintage Wagner, Griswold, BSR, or even old Lodge stuff that resembles an oval DO with ridges in the base. At one time, Lodge did make the #3060 Fish fryer that had the ridges inside the lid, but not the base.

There are all sorts of new oval DOs from the likes of Camp Chef, Bayou Classic, Carolina Cooker, etc. None with ridged bottoms though.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky