Help! Can I save my brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Boardtowndawg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
So for some reason tonight I attempted to do an overnight smoke. Put my brisket on at 7:15 central time and it’s now 11:15. I wanted to do it low and slow so I tried to maintain 225. Well fighting the cool temps that proved to be difficult. My internal temp at this point is only 110°. I know the rule about 140° at 4 hours. Can I save my brisket if I turn up the heat or is it bad?

If it is not Injected or Punched full of Holes, you are fine. In intact muscle there is only surface bacteria, the 40 to 140 guide does Not apply. Any surface bacteria were killed awhile ago. If intact, turn up the heat and proceed...JJ

If it is not Injected or Punched full of Holes, you are fine. In intact muscle there is only surface bacteria and they were killed awhile ago. If intact, turn up the heat and proceed...JJ

I injected it with beef broth before I put it on.

Proceed anyway. You are at 4 hours but that's a guide, you have wiggle room AND you will cook to an IT above 185, the temp that would inactivate Botulism Toxin. You will still be fine...JJ

4 hours of smoke is usually enough for many folks. You might consider Finishing in the Oven at 275-300 and staying warm...JJ

4 hours of smoke is usually enough for many folks. You might consider Finishing in the Oven at 275-300 and staying warm...JJ

One last question, can I wrap in butcher paper in the oven or should I use foil?

Butcher Paper is a good choice and can stand heat up to 500°F. Foil is ok but guys say it makes Brisket taste too much like Braised Pot Roast.
Never hesitate to ask questions. We are happy to help...JJ

how much wiggle room do I have exactly with that 140 in 4 rule? I didn’t really know what it would do I just figured I might get a little sick but I just looked up what botulism toxin is. Kinda freaked out ha. 12:15 central will be 5 hours and I’m at 116°. I have some people coming over for lunch and I definitely don’t want anyone getting that sick.

You've plenty of wiggle room right now as long as you keep it cooking.
I'd take JJ's advice, you've plenty of smoke by now, move it to the oven and finish it.

How much does your brisket weigh?
This can help you decide an oven temp to finish at so you can have some decent sleep, lower is slower and means more sleep.
I might finish at 240°-250° and get plenty of sleep.
Or you could do 275°-300° and be up to check it at 0600am.

Do you have a temp probe with an alarm, to wake you when the IT hits about 200° so you can start probing for tenderness?

I prefer paper wrapped.

You've plenty of wiggle room right now as long as you keep it cooking.
I'd take JJ's advice, you've plenty of smoke by now, move it to the oven and finish it.

How much does your brisket weigh?
This can help you decide an oven temp to finish at so you can have some decent sleep, lower is slower and means more sleep.
I might finish at 240°-250° and get plenty of sleep.
Or you could do 275°-300° and be up to check it at 0600am.

Do you have a temp probe with an alarm, to wake you when the IT hits about 200° so you can start probing for tenderness?

I prefer paper wrapped.

It weighs about 12 pounds after I trimmed it. I do have a temp probe with alarm. Should I go ahead and wrap now and just let it ride till it’s done? Finishing in the oven.

I don't worry up to 6 hours. In this case, as said above, the final cooking temp of 195-205°F is more than enough to eliminate any Toxin that might form. It is inactivated at 185°F. If you are Nervous, pickup something like Ribs that cook faster. A Party is no Fun if you are worrying about the meat all day.

I would finish in the oven and serve it...JJ

I don't worry up to 6 hours. In this case, as said above, the final cooking temp of 195-205°F is more than enough to eliminate any Toxin that might form. It is inactivated at 185°F. If you are Nervous, pickup something like Ribs that cook faster. A Party is no Fun if you are worrying about the meat all day.

I would finish in the oven and serve it...JJ

I’ll think about it while the oven warms up. 6 hours would be in 45 minutes and I still have 20° to climb.

While some Scary stuff, getting Botulism is pretty rare. Most of those cases are from improperly home Canned foods and eating Raw improperly Cured meats.
The Clostridium Botulinum Bacteria and Spores are found in dirt and Feces. Beef producers wash beef carcasses and jump through Hoops to keep meat Safe. USDA and SMF GUIDELINES are about letting you minimize risk, but the risk is extremely low to begin with when talking about Injected beef.
If we were talking about Meatloaf that was taking too long to get to temp, I would tell you to Toss it...JJ

While some Scary stuff, getting Botulism is pretty rare. Most of those cases are from improperly home Canned foods and eating Raw improperly Cured meats.
The Clostridium Botulinum Bacteria and Spores are found in dirt and Feces. Beef producers wash beef carcasses and jump through Hoops to keep meat Safe. USDA and SMF GUIDELINES are about letting you minimize risk, but the risk is extremely low to begin with when talking about Injected beef.
If we were talking about Meatloaf that was taking too long to get to temp, I would tell you to Toss it...JJ

Thank y’all very much!

It got up to 145 at like 2 am. I did what Chile said and cranked it up to 400° until it got there. Next I backed it down to 250 and let it ride till I woke up around 7. It was 192. I have raised the oven up a little to 275 and it’s currently at 199°. Fixing to start probing.

Reactions: webs05
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky