Help! 1st time attempt at a fatty.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

george255

Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Coeurd'Arlene , Idaho
I think i have the general idea of how to build one but my question is how to cook it on a pellet grill? Do we do this low and slow with lots of smoke or in the high 200's for a quick cook?
Also do we want to mop or spray anything on it during the cooking process? These things look
amazing and I really must give it a go for my sunday Q Party. Any last minute advice? Other than have plenty of beer on hand.

I have had good luck at 225-250*. Usually about 2.5 hours for me - I typically do 1lb ground suagsage and 0.5lb ground beef combined.

I would suggest using thinner bacon or it may not crisp up.

Thinner bacon works better for crispyness. My smoker likes to run at 250* so I don't argue with it. No mopping or spritzing is necessary. You can add some of your rub to the outside of the bacon if you want to give it a little kick. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky