Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use wired probes on a very limited basis. Usually on my pellet smoker and when I'm smoking something like a butt and it's cold out and I'm lazy. Sausage smoking is another good example when to use them. On my stick burner and most other cooks no matter what pit I'm using I like the idea of being more primitive. I do temp meat and check for tenderness using I instant read thermometer. Properly calibrated it's the way to go. As far as the tel Tru. They are accurate. Maybe not as accurate as laying a wired probe on the grate but that's not needed either. People get hung up on this idea that their pit needs to be within 2° of set temp. That's ridiculous and not achievable.

I use wired probes on a very limited basis. Usually on my pellet smoker and when I'm smoking something like a butt and it's cold out and I'm lazy. Sausage smoking is another good example when to use them. On my stick burner and most other cooks no matter what pit I'm using I like the idea of being more primitive. I do temp meat and check for tenderness using I instant read thermometer. Properly calibrated it's the way to go. As far as the tel Tru. They are accurate. Maybe not as accurate as laying a wired probe on the grate but that's not needed either. People get hung up on this idea that their pit needs to be within 2° of set temp. That's ridiculous and not achievable.
Thanks Jake, Where would you drill for mounting the tel thru? I have seen them high on the smoke chamber, and also at the grill level.

I have mine on the upper right by my stack but a lot of smokers have them on both sides and some have 4 which will get $$$. The beauty of electronic probe thermometers is you can move them around. I have one device that has 6 probes so I can place them in the meat and in multiple places on the grill tops. However, I’ve learned that “chasing the temp” is sort of useless unless you’re into competition or your having issues with consistency in different places in your smoker.

Reactions: MFSmokes
I have mine on the upper right by my stack but a lot of smokers have them on both sides and some have 4 which will get $$$. The beauty of electronic probe thermometers is you can move them around. I have one device that has 6 probes so I can place them in the meat and in multiple places on the grill tops. However, I’ve learned that “chasing the temp” is sort of useless unless you’re into competition or your having issues with consistency in different places in your smoker.
There is a port already drilled and plugged in the upper right side, near the stack. Looks like a good place to start. Thanks for the help with this.

Welcome aboard from SE Arizona.
Nice looking rig. It looks pretty clean for its age.
You might want to give it a very light coat of canola oil on the outside when you do the burn off.

Also, some interesting info here on the forums about the Bar B Chef.

Reactions: MFSmokes
Welcome aboard from SE Arizona.
Nice looking rig. It looks pretty clean for its age.
You might want to give it a very light coat of canola oil on the outside when you do the burn off.

Also, some interesting info here on the forums about the Bar B Chef.
Thanks SecondHandSmoker! I will give that a try, it is an older smoker, but the owner never used it. For the oil burn off, should I only heat from the firebox? Or build a fire in both chambers?
I‘ll check the thread- thanks!

Thanks SecondHandSmoker! I will give that a try, it is an older smoker, but the owner never used it. For the oil burn off, should I only heat from the firebox? Or build a fire in both chambers?
I‘ll check the thread- thanks!

You're welcome.
Yes, from the pics, I wondered if it had ever been used since the inside was so "clean".
Just build the fire in the firebox and use the vents to regulate the heat in the chamber.

When applying the oil, rub on only a small amount and wipe off the excess.
You want just a light sheen before doing the initial burn off.

If the grates are cast iron, give them a coat of oil too.

Reactions: MFSmokes and TNJAKE
Welcome from Iowa! You definitely came to a great place! Look forward to seeing some smokes on your new smoker!
But, a word to the wise...keep a close eye on these guys...they are all enablers, happy to help part you with your money, get you to think you need more toys...so you can try new things, learn more info, and all so your to do list only ever keeps growing! But we still like them and love it here!

Ryan

You're welcome.
Yes, from the pics, I wondered if it had ever been used since the inside was so "clean".
Just build the fire in the firebox and use the vents to regulate the heat in the chamber.

When applying the oil, rub on only a small amount and wipe off the excess.
You want just a light sheen before doing the initial burn off.

If the grates are cast iron, give them a coat of oil too.
Thanks, I’ll clean it up a bit and give it a burn.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Welcome from Iowa! You definitely came to a great place! Look forward to seeing some smokes on your new smoker!
But, a word to the wise...keep a close eye on these guys...they are all enablers, happy to help part you with your money, get you to think you need more toys...so you can try new things, learn more info, and all so your to do list only ever keeps growing! But we still like them and love it here!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Think I’ll order a tel-tru to start. From what I’ve seen on other threads, looks like making a expanded metal firebox basket, with some SS bolt legs is a good idea to raise the coals, and hold more wood. Yes, lots of good help here on SMF!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky