Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MFSmokes

Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
I am new to smoking meats. I just picked up a Bar B Chef offset smoker. It looks like it is discontinued. There is no model number on it, no temperature gauge, no instruction manual, so I guess I will just learn as I go. I saw your forum when I was trying to look up information on this unit. Looks like there’s a lot of knowledge on this site, I will definitely be checking out your posts. Pretty excited to fire this thing up! 6EF4D4A2-E6E5-4770-95CE-C90A1267AF8C.jpeg E30480DE-D4DA-470E-AE9C-3B60A94F7C44.jpeg 85820D44-E4BE-4B55-A8FA-2AE950EDB087.jpeg 4580A6E1-0C45-4908-8087-131461DFB0AC.jpeg D49ABC2B-6F88-4EF7-A4A0-A43801B47492.jpeg 49FBC365-7D94-4BC0-B4C1-53D24A82ABA4.jpeg

Thank you TNJake! This smoker looks like it has had some heat on it from the outside? But all I see on the inside is some light rust on the grates, and around some of the bolts. Thanks for the tip on the temperature gauge.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Welcome. Great forum like you said. You can also look for a thermometer that you can have show grill temp as well as the temp if your meat. Inkbird is a site sponsor and has really good products.to get familiar with the smoker and temp control you’ll really need a good thermometer that way you can play around with it and get to know it a little better

Thanks SmokingUPnorth,
I will grab a thermometer before I ruin something

Welcome from Minnesnowta. I would be willing to bet a few people have the same unit. The people here will have answers for you, unfortunately I’m not much help here.

Reactions: MFSmokes
Welcome, from California. I agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE about the Tel-Tru thermometer. They are the only accurate and trustable “steam gauges” you’ll find. But we still all use probe thermometers. The steam gauge is mainly for a quick glance, but a very trustable quick glance.

Reactions: MFSmokes
Hi Sven,
Thanks for the reply. Should it be installed at grill level, or higher? Near the offset firebox?

Thanks BGKYSmoker, I like the idea of a quality thermometer without electronics. This smoker is basic. Doors and vents. Hope I can get the hang of it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky