Hello with a question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sdallas2101

Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Good morning,
New to the forum, I have been lurking for a bit and finally joined.
I have been smoking for a while now but have made the jump to an offset. I know I may not be wisest for buying a cheap offset but I feel like I have done the necessary mods to make effective. I have extended the chimney and put gaskets around the smoke chamber and firebox.
I did a few test burns to get a feel for it and to burn off any packaging fumes and am quite happy with the seasoning process. I am able to manage heat efficiently with it for periods of time but I have learned quickly that it takes a lot more fuel than a bullet style charcoal/stick smoker. I bought the "big" bag of hickory chunks and it really eats the chunks up quickly.
I am not finding logs readily available so here is my big question, If I were to use rough cut dimensional hickory would it be better than chunks or the small logs sold at the box stores? I can order wood online but need for this weekend for a big cooking project. Thanks in advance.

Are you using charcoal as fuel? If so are you soaking the wood chunks prior to placing them on the charcoal?
If you look at several posts a lot of members (including myself) do not soak or recommend soaking wood , chips ,or sawdust it steams but doesn’t smoke till it dries out. Those delaying your actual smoking time,but to the op thinner metals and colder temps eat fuel. Get an ash basket if you don’t have one and maybe use more charcoal. A lot of people will use welding blankets to keep heat in ,and maybe a windbreak will help.

If you look at several posts a lot of members (including myself) do not soak or recommend soaking wood , chips ,or sawdust it steams but doesn’t smoke till it dries out. Those delaying your actual smoking time,but to the op thinner metals and colder temps eat fuel. Get an ash basket if you don’t have one and maybe use more charcoal. A lot of people will use welding blankets to keep heat in ,and maybe a windbreak will help.

Interesting, I have always used wood chips in my WSM and have always soaked them and never had an issue. I will have to do a search and read up on that.

Geeks I did the same till I met the folks on this forum and tried it both ways and remembered something my dad told me “there’s always someone smarter than you” this forum is a wealth of knowledge if you look and can find it (me and search engine don’t get along).

Reactions: Geebs
I like the welding blanket idea, sounds like a good way to keep heat in. has anyone used dimensional lumber for smoking? I can get from the lumber mill and cut to size

I like the welding blanket idea, sounds like a good way to keep heat in. has anyone used dimensional lumber for smoking? I can get from the lumber mill and cut to size
I would just make sure that none of the lumber has been treated nor using any type of cutting oil.

The smoking wood at the BB stores is way too expensive to burn outright. for my smaller smokes I use bagged lump charcoal from the BB stores. and put smoking wood chunks near the coals. (when the temp goes through the roof, there is flame in the firebox, I'll take he smoke chunk out and dunk in a bucket of water and put back in).

For bigger wood smokes, I have called one of the local wood (fireplace) suppliers. I can get a 1/2 cord of oak decently priced (very cheap compared to BB prices), oak is my primary burn wood for big smokes, and add mesquite, hickory, or other fruit woods form the BB stores to add additional flavors.

Walmart sells big bags of hickory splits for $9+.
Al
the big bags here (upstate NY) are $19.99-30! its insane. Getting it shipped is no cheaper. My plan is to use the chunks I have and get the 1x4x8 rough cut natural lumber cut into 1 foot lengths.
Long term I will find a source and supplier to make things reasonable but I need to have a supply of fuel for the weekend.

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky