Hello New with a an MES 40 Gen 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Hello everyone!

I'm doing my duty as a new member and posting here in Roll Call.

I live in TX and have just started using my brand new MES40 and I am on my 2nd smoke right now (baby back ribs, and pork country style ribs).

I have done quite a bit of searching on the site already that prepped me for my purchase of a MES40, to make the mailbox cold smoking mod, apply the 12"x12" ceramic tile fix, and to employ the use of a Maverick ET-733 thermometer.

I don't know how active I will be on the forum but I hope to contribute what I learn and to try continue learning as much as this community has to offer.

Thanks! :)

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of                     information on just about everything.

Gary

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of                     information on just about everything.

Gary
Thanks Gary.  I look forward to all of the fun to be had here :)

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

How did those ribs turn out?

Al
Thanks!

The ribs turned out well.  The baby backs were very fall off the bone but I don't mind that and my girl likes em that way anyhow.  I attempted a 3-2-1'ish type of cook but I'm still working out the kinks with my MES and the controller not allowing a real tempt over 245.  That can wreak havoc on trying to get up to a stable temp around 220 when you open the door a couple of times.

I think I also learned that when I foil pork ribs in my MES that I do NOT need to spritz or add any moisture.  I lightly splashed a little white wine on my baby backs but not on the other ribs and the baby backs were way more fall off the bone then the other ribs.

I also experimented with a clone recipe out there on the internet for trying to make Rudy's BBQ sauce.  The clone recipe needs some work but thank goodness I have a real bottle to test side by side and to identify any ingredients missing from the clone recipe.  I'll be sure to make a post on my lessons learned to get close to the real thing once I figure it out.

Last but not least, I learned about a 30% Mesquite/ 70% Alder pellet blend I used for the firs time that I plan to write a report about once I use it a few more times. 

I'll be sure to start posting some QView here soon.  I just didn't want to get ahead of myself only two smokes in.  I'm looking forward to contributing what I can :)

Welcome TailBM !!  
welcome1.gif

Glad to have you with us.

Since you have an MES 40, this (below) could help you with some Tips, Step by Steps, and Ideas.

All smokes were done in an MES:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Welcome TailBM !!  
welcome1.gif

Glad to have you with us.

Since you have an MES 40, this (below) could help you with some Tips, Step by Steps, and Ideas.

All smokes were done in an MES:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear
Thanks Bear!

I've come across one or two of your "step by step" posts but never hit the one page with all of the links listed.  I will keep it handy for sure :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky