Hello from Wisconsin!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjans

Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Hey folks, been eyeing up a BGE for a while now, and after talking with my grilling enthusiast father, based on my lifestyle and family obligations, we settled on the RecTec 700. I burned it in last night and I'm looking forward to making some delicious stuff for Sunday Packer games to go along with my Homebrew hobby.

I'm considering the sear kit and the downdraft from Don Godke. Anyone have these accessories? Recommended?

Go Packers, Go Brewers!

We'll see you on Sunday :) I'll be at the game. That said, I'm perfectly civil to all sports fans. Except for maybe Cardinals fans :)

Gonna be a good match this weekend...

Hey hey, welcome Aboard. I'm up in Neenah. Good to see more of us Wisconsinites getting together. I'm actually wanting to see enough of us around to start a SMF meet up!

Neenah! I grew up in Kimberly. Neenah Rockets were in our conference ;) I'd def. be down for a meetup. Looking to share some homebrew!

Neenah! I grew up in Kimberly. Neenah Rockets were in our conference ;) I'd def. be down for a meetup. Looking to share some homebrew!
Ha! Well, we oughta figure some thing out in these cooler months. I've poked around the WI members a bit, the biggest problem is we all seemingly live in town. I don't want to explain to the fire department 'No Sir. There isn't a house fire, it's a bunch of crazy guys with smokers' LOL.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure that you find all kinds of great info and ideas here. I know that I have. Since you are only pushing the NFC agenda I can be civil. I'm a long suffering Chargers fan.

George

Normally I would say hello and welcome.... But as a life long bears fan I'm still a little sore over last Sunday nights game!!! Happy smoking hope ya enjoy the rectec!

Man, that was some game. Sorry about that, Rodgers is just a bad man.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure that you find all kinds of great info and ideas here. I know that I have. Since you are only pushing the NFC agenda I can be civil. I'm a long suffering Chargers fan.George

If I can be civil to a Bear fan, I can be civil to anyone :) I've been on the other side (See Seattle/Green Bay game) and I don't prefer to eat too much crow.

Plus, I mean, I do root for the Browns (several WI players on the team, one goes to my church), and the Dolphins (life-long Marino fan) but I certainly feel bad for Chargers fans. I mean, you guys got hosed.

Re: bbqing, any of you use a sear kit or the downdraft?

I wish I could say I was surprised by the 4th quarter comeback haha. Been down this road far too many times with Rodgers.

Normally I would say hello and welcome.... But as a life long bears fan I'm still a little sore over last Sunday nights game!!! Happy smoking hope ya enjoy the rectec!

Man, that was some game. Sorry about that, Rodgers is just a bad man.

If I can be civil to a Bear fan, I can be civil to anyone :) I've been on the other side (See Seattle/Green Bay game) and I don't prefer to eat too much crow.

Plus, I mean, I do root for the Browns (several WI players on the team, one goes to my church), and the Dolphins (life-long Marino fan) but I certainly feel bad for Chargers fans. I mean, you guys got hosed.

Re: bbqing, any of you use a sear kit or the downdraft?

Could be worse.....you could be a Lions fan!!! WE invent new ways to lose. LOL We make Cubs and RedSox curses look like blessings!

I'm glad I'm not ostracized for using a pellet smoker. Seems to be some disdain for us "cheaters!" I have a wife, 3 kids, I a long commute, and I coach every sport known to man. I need something that lets me enjoy my patio without having to stress about it. I just started my grill from my phone while picking up my daughter last night. So cool.

I'm doing a Pork Butt this weekend for my first real cook (did some ribs on a stick last night). I have lots to learn, but I'm using Meathead's Memphis Dust rub, and I'm very excited!

Reactions: Scott "Stu" Stewart
If any thing it's those of us running electric who would be the cheaters I'd think, but I'll gladly stick with my MES lol. Remember to chronicle that first pork butt..good first choice for a long smoke!

If any thing it's those of us running electric who would be the cheaters I'd think, but I'll gladly stick with my MES lol. Remember to chronicle that first pork butt..good first choice for a long smoke!

Thanks! I'm going to do an 8 hour smoke, I think. RecTec had some 14 hour smoke videos they did, but for my first I'm gonna get up early, set it, and then go coach a football game, brew some pumpkin ale, and then be finished in time to enjoy the meats of my labor ;)

Thanks! I'm going to do an 8 hour smoke, I think. RecTec had some 14 hour smoke videos they did, but for my first I'm gonna get up early, set it, and then go coach a football game, brew some pumpkin ale, and then be finished in time to enjoy the meats of my labor ;)
Be prepared for it to take more then 8 hours is all I gotta say lol.

Tom, can I ask why you say that? Are you saying the RT is slower than normal?

Tom, can I ask why you say that? Are you saying the RT is slower than normal?
Because when it comes to BBQ, it's never as short as planned. I run most of my Pork Butts around 225f and it takes 16+ hours. Even doing the 275f Hot and fast it seems 10 hours is normal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky