Hello from WI (AKA The Frozen Tundra)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JTnWI

Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Originally from the Wash DC area, moved to WI (Waukesha County) about 12 years ago. Have owned several smokers throughout the years. Almost done with my UDS, in Redskins colors, and then I will look at it until it warms up around here.

Welcome JT ! I'm a born/raised Virginian,somewhat of a rarity anywhere near DC.I'm not familiar with how well a UDS will cook in the "Tundra" but I'd imagine it's none too good!

Bill

Welcome to the board, Badger! You're in the territory of bratwurst, beer and cheese.

Have you been up to Door County for a fish boil? Whitefish, red potatoes and cherry pie...

Motocrash - I was used to getting new friends in DC every time the administration changed. For the UDS, I doubt I will use it much this winter, but once it warms up next March/April I plan on using it a lot. I may try and figure out a way to insulate it for winter use.

Bluewhisper - I know all about brats, cheese curds, and fish fries, not that it has been 12 years. Prior to moving here all of those thing were unheard of. Went to Door County this past summer for the first time, pretty amazing place. I also had to learn what a "bubbler" was and a "stop & go"....both still make no sense to me.

I had several good camping trips in WI in the 80s and 90s. We hit several parks in the southern part, like Kettle Moraine and Wyalusing, also Governor Dodge and Devil's Lake, also Point Beach and several around Door County. I like the land, I like the people, and I like THE FOOD.

One rainy day in Peninsula we wanted to go get warm in town, so we went into Fish Creek and stumbled on the White Gull Inn. We were dressed for camping and the place was upscale but they had one open slot for a fish boil that evening and we got it. I was joking, I guess the Governor's party cancelled. A fish boil is quite a ritual and it was fantastic. A plate of whitefish, potatoes and cherry pie for dessert.

Edited to add, here's their page on their fish boils.

http://www.whitegullinn.com/traditional-door-county-fish-boils

Welcome to the long winters in Wisconsin I just built my first UDS and have been testing it in the cold and windy weather the past week. First cook was Saturday during the badger game it was 30 and windy up here but seamed to hold temp better than I expected for the conditions if I can figure out how to post a pic I'll show you. I say go for it don't wait for spring

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a Chilly day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky