Hello from Western New York

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tromaron

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Allegany, NY
My name's Ron.  I'm in South Western New York, just above the PA border.  I work for NY State during the week, & on weekends manage conventions for Troma Entertainment, the film company responsible for the 80s classic The Toxic Avenger, as well as about 800 others.

Been lurking here for a few months, finally got around to buying a 40" MES last week.  The info & tips I've picked up from here already has been invaluable. So far I've only had time to smoke 1 pork butt.  Turned out great, but showed me that I have problems with the MES thermostat.  What I thought was a normal 160 stall never picked up again until I took a different temp reading & saw that my interior temp was only 190, not 225.  But without this forum I would have been lost.  So I'm looking forward to learning more & lost of future smokes.

Welcome Ron

Glad to have you here with us. Great news on the new MES40 - take the time to check out the AMNSand you will be a very happy camper

Welcome ron.

The AMNS is a great smoking tool but has nothing to do w/ your temps .

I have owned an MES for a few years and they are notorius for the temps being offf ( both high and low ) from the digital reading.

Best bet is to get a good digital thermometer and figure out what your actual temps are and then you know how much to add or subtract  from your mes reading.  Mine runs about 15 - 20 ° lower than the reading on the MES read out.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Also for those of you new to smoking,  Get a good Probe Thermometer as we smoke by Temperature NOT TIME.

A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732

Welcome to the forums Tom, I use to drive thru Cuba all the time on my way to Olean......Beautiful country!

Looking forward to some Q-views from your new smoker.

Dan

Howdy Ron.

Gotta luv the Toxic avenger.

That boy had better luck with the ladies than me!

54894c05_andree_maranda-the_toxic_avenger-22.jpg

13232320_toxicavengerii3.jpg

027b2b91_TOXIC-AVENGER-APPROVES-THIS-THREAD.jpg

Haha!  You might need quite a few Killians to get through parts 2 & 3.  Part 4 is my favorite.  Part 5 is being written now, with any luck it'll go into production sometime next year.  If this doesn't get you out of your rut, get a bunch more Killians & que up Poultrygeist.  I had a couple small parts in that one.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky