Hello from South Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whittlinsam

Original poster
May 7, 2012
South Texas
I have already found a lot of useful information in the forum.    I have been smoking meat for a few years and just bought my 4th smoker.    I started with a little charcoal one which didn't have a way to get air to the coals so they didn't burn.   Then a small bullet electric, which did okay except there was no temperature control.    Next came a wood/charcoal pit with a side burner.    It works well except it needs constant care and feeding.     I have smoked brisket, ribs, salmon, chicken, turkey, and cheese with pretty good success.

I ordered a MES 30" digital today from Walmart after the price dropped.     I went with the 20070910 after reading the postings on it and I have a friend with one who really likes it.    I have been looking for sometime and debating between electric and propane.    But with our South Texas winds, I was afraid the propane would blow out too easily.    It should arrive next week sometime and I have a pork butt in the freezer waiting for it.    And I am hoping that briskets will go on sale for Mother's Day.    

Thank you so much for joining the forum and welcome!  Please enjoy and there's a lot of tips and we are all glad to help in any way we can!  There is a waiting time for posting pics, but we will try to get everything cleared for you to do so!  Never hesitate to ask questions, we want you to have great smokes!

welcome1.gif
 South Texas!

I have already found a lot of useful information in the forum.    I have been smoking meat for a few years and just bought my 4th smoker.    I started with a little charcoal one which didn't have a way to get air to the coals so they didn't burn.   Then a small bullet electric, which did okay except there was no temperature control.    Next came a wood/charcoal pit with a side burner.    It works well except it needs constant care and feeding.     I have smoked brisket, ribs, salmon, chicken, turkey, and cheese with pretty good success.

I ordered a MES 30" digital today from Walmart after the price dropped.     I went with the 20070910 after reading the postings on it and I have a friend with one who really likes it.    I have been looking for sometime and debating between electric and propane.    But with our South Texas winds, I was afraid the propane would blow out too easily.    It should arrive next week sometime and I have a pork butt in the freezer waiting for it.    And I am hoping that briskets will go on sale for Mother's Day.    
Welcome aboard where in South Texas are you from...I originally am from Freer Texas.

"Welcome aboard where in South Texas are you from...I originally am from Freer Texas."

Thank you for all the kind welcoming words. 

We retired and moved to the Rio Grande Valley about 10 yrs. ago.     We really enjoy it here.

Well, Walmart is now telling me that the smoker is delayed.    Should have been here by now, has been trying to cover last 300 miles for 5 days.    They say it should be here on the 20th now, but I am not convinced.    Even found a brisket and some salmon to smoker.    

Called Walmart to check yesterday on the MES.    They said it is somewhere on a truck, they don't know where.    So, canceled the order so they could send one quicker.    Supposed to be here tomorrow.    We will see!!

Welcome to SMF!  Please tell me how you like that smoker, as I am thinking about other options so I can have more smokers :)

I just got it on Wednesday afternoon and seasoned it yesterday.     Today I put in some store-bought sausages to check it out.   So far it is doing quite well.    Everything went as expected.    I had pretty even heat and good smoke.    I was surprised at how long the chips lasted after the first batch.    I wrapped the water pan and grease drip pan with foil, using the heavy duty wide.   I was able to run an errand and do some things around the house and it did well.   It does beat feeding the charcoal and wood every little bit and it is easier to clean up.    I bought the 30 inch, I am already wondering if I should have gotten the 40 inch.

So far I am pleased with it, the real test will be when I put a brisket in the next couple days.    That will give me a better idea of how it is doing.    I am thinking about building a stand for it rather than having it set on the ground.     That will make it easier to see in the chip pan and checking on the meat.    I bought this one on a friend's recommendation, he really likes his.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky