Hello from North Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PulledPorkSandwich

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
North Texas
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks and decided to sign up.

I'm in the DFW area of North Texas and have been smoking meat -- and enjoying doing it -- for quite a few years with some success, although I'm convinced on reading this forum that I've still got lots to learn! There are lots of very knowledgeable people here!

I started with an offset smoker built with oil field pipe. I had some success with that but eventually grew tired of constantly fiddling with the intake/exhaust openings to manage temperatures. I also came to understand that I needed to pull meat off this smoker before it got too much smoke and finish the cook on my Weber Genesis. After doing that a few times, I decided to equip the Genesis with a smoke box and just do my cooks on it, cutting the smoke after at time. That was an improvement over moving the meat from one cooker to another, but still required constant attention to managing temperature, especially with long, overnight cooks like brisket and pulled pork. I came to realize that I needed something I could "set and forget" and, after some research leveraging this site in particular, chose a Smokin-it model 2.

I've used the Model 2 once to cook a slab of spare ribs and really like it. I'm looking forward to trying it on other meats; I'm particularly interested in trying one of the meatloaf recipes I've seen here!

Welcome from iowa! And pics are a must or it didn't happen

Ryan

Welcome to the forum!! I too have a Smokin' It Model 2 (and have had for about 7 or 8 years) and love it. While it is no longer my "main" smoker, I still use it quite a bit when I want to smoke something quickly and/or easily. It sits outside all year long under a Smokin' It cover and I've never had an issue (though I did replace the cover this year). I'm sure you'll grow to like your new smoker. And, as others have suggested, we would love to see some pictures.

Reactions: JC in GB
The Smokin It units are solid performers. You should get great results from it.

Welcome from Wisconsin.

JC :emoji_cat:

Ed,
Welcome to SMF from North Texas as well (Frisco/Little Elm).
Great forum made up of people who truly love to smoke, grill and cook.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky