Hello from New Mexico

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
New member from New Mexico, just south of Albuquerque. Been smoking on and off for 8 years or so, but really upped the interest in the last 6 months.
I've got an Oklahoma Joe's highland (5 years old). Recently an offer from my dad to buy my old one if I wanted to upgrade, led me to getting in the list for a Bell fab. Should be done around mid March.

Attached is last night's cook, pork belly cooked like brisket and chickens for tacos today.

Brian

Attachments

• PXL_20220213_005701258.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220213_005701258.MP.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220213_010049778.jpg
    PXL_20220213_010049778.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220212_205512846.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220212_205512846.MP.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220212_210418392.jpg
    PXL_20220212_210418392.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 26
Welcome from Tennessee. Congrats on the bell fab. I have one and several other members do as well. You'll love it

Welcome from Mississippi! Did a travel nursing gig a couple of times to Roswell NM. Loved NM!
Jim

Welcome from Iowa! Good looking food and congrats on the new smoker!

Ryan

Thanks for the warm welcome! We love New Mexico!
DRKSmoking, did you get the belly to have a fall apart tender texture? That's what I was going for, but it was more like slightly under done ribs. Not dry, but more bite then I hoped for. I did lose track of time and the probe said it got up to 208 (we are elevation, so water boils around 204). I freaked and pulled it, even though it wasn't probe tender. After the fact, I'm thinking my probe wasn't centered and was reading close to the exterior. But I was afraid I'd made jerky!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Welcome from Virginia! My sister lives in Albequerque, I’ve been there many times! She’s owned the same bar/pool hall downtown since about 1990, so that’s been a big reason to visit! That food looks outstanding and congrats on the Bel Fab! I got on the list back in December too.

To get a members attention on a call out or question put the @ symbol before typing their name, that way it notifies them. I can’t answer for DRKsmoking DRKsmoking but it sounds like you’re on the right track!
Welcome aboard! You’ll have a lot of fun and learn a lot too!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Welcome from Virginia! My sister lives in Albequerque, I’ve been there many times! She’s owned the same bar/pool hall downtown since about 1990, so that’s been a big reason to visit! That food looks outstanding and congrats on the Bel Fab! I got on the list back in December too.

To get a members attention on a call out or question put the @ symbol before typing their name, that way it notifies them. I can’t answer for DRKsmoking DRKsmoking but it sounds like you’re on the right track!
Welcome aboard! You’ll have a lot of fun and learn a lot too!

Thanks Jed for the heads up to this and in helping out Hockeydudde Hockeydudde on how to summons " ME " , ha ha . Really thank you.
I will respond to Hockeydudde Hockeydudde now to his question
Jed you are the best.

David

Reactions: bauchjw
Thanks for the warm welcome! We love New Mexico!
DRKSmoking, did you get the belly to have a fall apart tender texture? That's what I was going for, but it was more like slightly under done ribs. Not dry, but more bite then I hoped for. I did lose track of time and the probe said it got up to 208 (we are elevation, so water boils around 204). I freaked and pulled it, even though it wasn't probe tender. After the fact, I'm thinking my probe wasn't centered and was reading close to the exterior. But I was afraid I'd made jerky!

Hi Hockeydudde, first I must say thank you to Jed ( bauchjw bauchjw ) for the heads up and in helping you with how to get in touch with folks.

Now I was/did smoke mine ( Belly ) for slicing and Making a couple different meals out of. So I did not cure it as I wanted the sweet taste of the pork to shine.
I smoked it at 225/250 Deg. for 2 1/2 hours/ than 300 Deg. for 2 1/2 hours with Hickory and Mesquite chunks
Coated/Rubbed with Q-Nami. Brought it to 169Deg. IT.
It came out very nice and tender. And the rub was great, not much of a smoke ring because of the fat

DSC_4063.JPG

DSC_4066.JPG

Sorry probably not the info you were looking for

David

Welcome from Kentucky. Great looking grub, and looking forward to seeing some pics of the new smoker, and some cooks off it.

Welcome from Texas. I wish I would of seen this yesterday. Pork belly i bought had the skin on. After I removed it not the greatest piece for bacon. I was thinking about about just smoking it when I bought it but went ahead and started curing it. I guess I can still smoke it. Yours looks really good!

I love Hatch Chiles. Bet you get some good ones. Been wanting to try Chimayo Chili Powder but just to expensive.

Good Chile comes from anywhere in the state! Hatch is famous, but it depends more in the variety and farmer (and roaster) than what part of the state it is from.
We make our red from pods, much better than powder if you like red Chile. Even here though, chimayo Chile isn't really available. Every year we say we are going to drive to there to buy Chile and visit the Santuario, but haven't done it yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky