Hello From Dayton Nevada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martinfan30

Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Hello all. Just got my first horizontal offset. An OK Joe Longhorn.

Been smoking things for years. Started on a little Cheif, then a water smoker, used an old cooler that I insulated and put a hot plate in for awhile. The cooler worked really really well until I left the hot plate on and melted it down haha.

So I have made a couple mods so far.

Sealed the FB and FB to SC. Added a down pipe. First run with food was with a rack of St. Louis ribs. Was difficult after halfway to keep the temp steady and I used way too much wood trying to keep it going. Pissed the wife off cause the house smells like creosote now.

I did buy a chimney starter yesterday and I think that will help with my heating issues. Will try again today with a couple racks of the same. If I can keep a steady flow of hot coals flowing when needed, should be ok.

welcome1.gif

to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

Every pit has a learning curve, it will take a few smokes to get it right.

Al

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky