Hello from Calgary

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CalgaryPT

Original poster
Aug 11, 2022
Calgary, Alberta, Canada (eh?)
Hello everyone—I'm new to the forum. I'm retired up here in Calgary and I had to recently abandon my lifelong metalworking hobby and sell all my tools. In fact, I used to make smokers as one of my many projects. But I always gave them away to friends—I so never realized how addictive the smoker/BBQ bug was while I was building these things. I recently bought a Pitboss PB850PS2 to supplement my large natural gas grill, and I can't believe what I was missing all these years. I love to cook, but the process of sitting back and smelling those pellets cook meat is intoxicating. Haven't used the gas grill since I got the smoker, and can't imagine going back. Calgary has a great BBQ spirit (especially during Stampede), but I don't think we are in the same league as Texas where companies have names like "Meat Church." That's serious.

Had an initial snafu with the PitBoss as the PID controller wouldn't connect to WiFi or Bluetooth. I read some trash talk about the new controllers and PitBoss' support, but I only have good things to say so far. I could still cook with the smoker and they were nothing but helpful and polite when I spoke with them. After a little paperwork they had a new controller in the mail to me which arrived in about a week. I installed it and it works perfectly now. I know you offset guys probably look at pellet grills as a bit of a cop-out (LOL...I get that); but for someone like me who is retired, I don't want to fuss with a firebox constantly (cuts into my Rum and Cokin'). I just enjoy the compromise of a traditional smoker with the technology of a PID controller.

I'm not very good yet, but am learning fast as I love cooking. The science behind it fascinates me and I love geeking out over this stuff, researching answers to questions, and getting into the technical detail behind the art of smoking. I'm also restarting an older hobby from 25 yrs. ago that compliments the smoker; I'm going back to growing hot peppers hydroponically. It's great fun and you end up with product that loves to be included in recipes. I also make my own rubs which is fun, and will use my own peppers in this in the future.

So far I have done lots of ribs (3-2-1) which are all yummy, but not quite the way I want them. I've done pulled pork that I injected with a wonderful Thyme-based infusion (gobbled it all the same day so had no leftovers), lots of Jalapeno Poppers (I mean lots), terrific whole chicken, and tried steaks and burgers with the sear plate open. I've also attempted brisket two times, but just can't get this right despite following a neighbour's recipe exactly (which tastes great). Brisket will have to wait until next summer to try again, as experimenting on a $80 dollar slab of meat is getting pricey.

I'm looking forward to participating on the forum and chatting with everyone in posts. If this forum is anything like others I participate on, I know you like pics, so I will include a few of what I have so far. I'd love to hear from any others in Calgary if you are on here as well. Cheers :)

- Pete

Attachments

• poppers.jpg
    poppers.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 19
  • ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
welcome from Minnesota! nothing wrong with using a pellet grill, everybody needs to use what makes them happy. also those food pics look awesome!!!

Reactions: CalgaryPT
Hello everyone—I'm new to the forum. I'm retired up here in Calgary and I had to recently abandon my lifelong metalworking hobby and sell all my tools. In fact, I used to make smokers as one of my many projects. But I always gave them away to friends—I so never realized how addictive the smoker/BBQ bug was while I was building these things. I recently bought a Pitboss PB850PS2 to supplement my large natural gas grill, and I can't believe what I was missing all these years. I love to cook, but the process of sitting back and smelling those pellets cook meat is intoxicating. Haven't use the gas grill since I got the smoker, and can't imagine going back. Calgary has a great BBQ spirit (especially during Stampede), but I don't think we are in the same league as Texas where companies have names like "Meat Church." That's serious.

Had an initial snafu with the PitBoss as the PID controller wouldn't connect to WiFi or Bluetooth. I read some trash talk about the new controllers and PitBoss' support, but I only have good things to say so far. I could still cook with the smoker and they were nothing but helpful and polite when I spoke with them. After a little paperwork they had a new controller in the mail to me which arrived in about a week. I installed it and it works perfectly now. I know you offset guys probably look at pellet grills as a bit of a cop-out (LOL...I get that); but for someone like me who is retired, I don't want to fuss with a firebox constantly (cuts into my Rum and Cokin'). I just enjoy the compromise of a traditional smoker with the technology of a PID controller.

I'm not very good yet, but am learning fast as I love cooking. The science behind it fascinates me and I love geeking out over this stuff, researching answers to questions, and getting into the technical detail behind the art of smoking. I'm also restarting an older hobby from 25 yrs. ago that compliments the smoker; I'm going back to growing hot peppers hydroponically. It's great fun and you end up with product that loves to be included in recipes. I also make my own rubs which is fun, and will use my own peppers in this in the future.

So far I have done lots of ribs (3-2-1) which are all yummy, but not quite the way I want them. I've done pulled pork that I injected with a wonderful Thyme-based infusion (gobbled it all the same day so had no leftovers), lots of Jalapeno Poppers (I mean lots), terrific whole chicken, and tried steaks and burgers with the sear plate open. I've also attempted brisket two times, but just can't get this right despite following a neighbour's recipe exactly (which tastes great). Brisket will have to wait until next summer to try again, as experimenting on a $80 dollar slab of meat is getting pricey.

I'm looking forward to participating on the forum and chatting with everyone in posts. If this forum is anything like others I participate on, I know you like pics, so I will include a few of what I have so far. I'd love to hear from any others in Calgary if you are on here as well. Cheers :)

- Pete
Welcome aboard. You found the perfect place to help you perfect the craft.

Welcome Pete from Winnipeg. Yes it is a addictive hobby. I must have gained 10-15lbs. Lol. It's all good. Love rum also.
Thanks. Just out of curiosity—and because you are from Winnipeg—do you use yours in the winter? I’ve BBQ’d on my gas grill here as we get those lovely Chinooks in Calgary, but was wondering about smoking below 0 C. After tasting a whole chicken on the smoker, my mouth is already wondering about a turkey for Christmas?

Thanks. Sad to hear about all the flooding you are experiencing down there. Best wishes from Calgary.
Appreciate it. Fortunately, we didn't get any major flooding in the part of Kentucky where I live, but so many to the east lost everything.

Welcome from Oregon!

I spent most of a December in Calgary on business some years back. 30 degrees below zero. Brrr. I met some of the nicest people ever. Was invited to church, dinner, potluck, and kids hockey games by total strangers. You have found some pretty friendly folks here, we even talk about smoking sometimes!

But, why is all the rum gone? Pete drank it! :emoji_blush: Lol! Welcome from Iowa! Just watch out for all the enablers around here...we are pretty good at helping spend other's money on things they "need" ! You've come to a great place to learn and enjoy.

Ryan

Welcome from the Palmetto State where it's hot and humid during the summer and hardly ever gets below freezing in the colder months. You have arrived at the place where all of your food related questions, and some non-food related ones, will be answered. By the way, we like pictures...:emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky