hello from alaska!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dalton

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
hello all you smokers...

found this site last week and been wandering around since and came across a couple of post from new folks like me and they were told to stop by roll call.  so here I am. 

I have been smoking fish off and on for most of my life. I learned from my uncle who spent many years living in several remote villages while writing his doctoral thesis on some native alaskan "skin Boats".  when I was about 15 the same uncle bought a comercial fishing site from a native family and the first summer some of the family stopped by and " Learned him right" on how to use the smokehouse and some other things around the site.  we made "squaw candy" every summer.  it wasn't till I was older that I began to understand why the squaw candy was so much different than all the other smoked salmon that other freinds and family made. 

since I have a nearly unlimited access to salmon every summer you might guess that there was always smoked salmon around to eat.  but as I got older and didn't spend summers at the fish site anymore I was reduced to a big chief smoker for smoking fish.  never really had the time or the desire to go any further than that till now.  this year I started making jerky and the stuff coming out of the smoker was SOOOO much better than the stuff made in the dehytrator that I need to build a smoker.  I am going to post some questions in the building section of the forum and hope to get some input from all you old pros out there.  I am hoping to learn from others mistakes instead of making them myself LOL!  but hey isn't that the great thin about the internet?  we can all get together wether we live in texas or alaska and talk about different ideas!! 

so far I love the site and will be visiting often.  thanks to all here who make it such a great resource.  maybe in the future I can take my turn to contribute although my experience is pretty limited so far!

dalton

Welcome to SMF!!!

You are right. We have members in every state an a few forigne countrys.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Hello Dalton and welcome to SMF. You are going to like it here. There is a lot of support

Dalton welcome to SMF. Check out the 5 day ecourse if you havent already. We are glad to have you here.

Hello Dalton and welcome,I also am building a smoker.been using store bought stuff for years,now its time to step it up

Thanks for the great introduction, and welcome to the SMF. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Dalton to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction        

Welcome Dalton!

We can always use a few more tips & recipes on smoking salmon!

Bearcarver

Welcome to SMF Dalton, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome aboard!  Looking forward to more of your post, along with some Qview.  
icon_mrgreen.gif

SMF is a great place with tons of information and some really great folks.

Happy Smokin'!

wow guys!!  thanks for all the kind words of welcome.  I tired to post questions on the site on tuesday but got a 503 error.  I am going to try again today.

thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky