Hello everyone from Southern California! My name is John

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pitdad

Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Thousand Oaks, California
Hello everyone! My name is John and I'm southern california. I have been backyard barbecuing for over 20 years. I converted my weber kettle into a smoker about a year ago and realized I need something bigger. I am looking for advice on where to get materials for my first reverse flow smoker. Especially a 100lb propane tank or bigger. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Reactions: JLeonard
Greeting John and welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Never built a pit, but there are many here that have.

Welcome John!! This is a great site with great info!! When you build your smoker take us on your Journey with pics and updates!!

Hello everyone! My name is John and I'm southern california. I have been backyard barbecuing for over 20 years. I converted my weber kettle into a smoker about a year ago and realized I need something bigger. I am looking for advice on where to get materials for my first reverse flow smoker. Especially a 100lb propane tank or bigger. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

John
Welcome to the forum from Tampa!

Welcome!

I would recommend a tank with a larger diameter of a 100#. Reverse flow perform better as stubby and tall vs narrow and long.

Most propane tanks are recycled these days so they can be hard to get a hold of. Old air compressor tanks make for nice smokers as well.

The other thought is to just make up a reverse flow cabinet. This is a bit more welding but can make an excellent RF. If/when I make another RF it will be a cabinet out of sheet vs round tank…. Even with the more welding the fab is easier and faster sans the custom cuts for the round

From my research, reverse flow smokers originated in South GA. Not 100% sure of that.
They have advantages but to me as far as flavor goes, they are just not quite right. Ask around before you go in that direction. Eat from one if you can.

Hi, welcome you'd be looking for a 100gal tank not a 100lb cylinder. I used to work for a propane company. The steel as they call it is a large overhead. It gets re-valved and recertified for many years. A better bet would be craigs list, search for an air compressor with a bad pump or such, Maybe see if any metal scrap yards are close by. Slip them a couple bucks to keep an eye out for a suitable tank. Good luck the hunt is half the fun.

Hi, welcome you'd be looking for a 100gal tank not a 100lb cylinder. I used to work for a propane company. The steel as they call it is a large overhead. It gets re-valved and recertified for many years. A better bet would be craigs list, search for an air compressor with a bad pump or such, Maybe see if any metal scrap yards are close by. Slip them a couple bucks to keep an eye out for a suitable tank. Good luck the hunt is half the fun.
But they are not gauranted to work a :emoji_100: percent and they can be dangerous

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky