Hello and brown smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jarod L

Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Montana
Hi all. I've been spending a lot of time reading here so i thought I'd better introduce myself. I picked up an MES 40 with the glass door a month and a half ago. So far I've done a couple rounds of ribs, a pork butt, a chicken, and today a pork loin. Everything has turned out great. I also bought an amnps and I love using it. It truly makes it so much easier and pellets are great.

I do have a question. I've been using traeger apple pellets. I've gotten perfect tbs every time. Yesterday and today I mixed apple and hickory. My smoke goes from tbs to a medium brown over and over. I'm concerned there's something wrong with the hickory pellets because they are the only new addition. My air flow thru the chip feeder is good, I have it barely pulled out like the last couple times. The whole chicken i did yesterday had a little bit of a creosote taste where the skin was gone and the meat was showing, and I had that same brown smoke yesterday. Anyone ever run into something like this? Only thing i can think of is the hickory pellets. it's a new bag too. Oh, and the amnps isn't getting dripped on. I've had aluminum pans under the meat.

Thanks! And i look forward to being more active here. so much good info.

Reactions: kruizer
Welcome to the site, are the hickory pellets also traeger? I haven't used that brand. So I can't comment on how good they are. I do think I remember reading that Traeger pellets are flavored pellets and not made up of 100% the wood listed on the package.

Chris

I'd do an experiment; just run some hickory pellets on their own and see what happens.

Then run Apple on it's own again.

Also welcome from WI! I hope this can get sorted.

Welcome to the site, are the hickory pellets also traeger? I haven't used that brand. So I can't comment on how good they are. I do think I remember reading that Traeger pellets are flavored pellets and not made up of 100% the wood listed on the package.

Chris

Yep, both are traeger.

I'd do an experiment; just run some hickory pellets on their own and see what happens.

Then run Apple on it's own again.

Also welcome from WI! I hope this can get sorted.

I'll give that a go. I picked up a new bag of the hickory today at work, and lit a few outside to see how they burned. Perfect blue smoke coming off of them. They are a different color though, so it's possible they had a bad run..

I'll give that a go. I picked up a new bag of the hickory today at work, and lit a few outside to see how they burned. Perfect blue smoke coming off of them. They are a different color though, so it's possible they had a bad run..
Always possible, had some that never quite lit right etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky