Hello All (My hair smells)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boxermaniac

Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Great site from what I have seen so far.

I am going to enjoy this site as I LOVE to cook, or smoke, or grill, or just be outside staring at my cooker with an adult beverage in my hand.

I sold my smoker, a very nice cooker that my son made for me while he was employed at Texas Pit Crafters. I kept this cooker for about 8 years and then it happened. The wife and I became empty nesters and cooking for a brood any longer and it is just her and I. It took an hour to get the fire right for whatever I wanted to put on it and for hours afterwards to allow the fire to burn out so I could put it up in the garage.

Yes I said it, I am out of the closet, I admit, I do keep my pit in the garage washed down and cleaned after every use.

My wife and I just recently purchased a home for us and I need a NEW PIT,,, YEAH!!!!!!

I have been looking at the Oklahoma Joes Triple so I can smoke and grill steaks in a minute if necessary.

I really don’t want to spend more than the 450 they ask for it at Lowes.

I have read up on some reviews and watched many videos on YouTube looking at what people have thought and done (DIY MODS)

Would like your opinion.

Now that all the formals are out of the way, I will say that I intend on using this site for recipes and tips on how to prepare and cook all kinds of foods.

Look forward to hearing from everyone, If anyone is in the Conroe, Texas area maybe we can meet up and cook out.

Welcome to the SMF Family!!!

I enjoyed reading your story, and can relate, as we're also recent empty nesters. I still enjoy planning, coordinating and cooking with various methods for family gatherings, and that is why I still have so many cookers and such a large volume of gear in my possession...never know when the next road-trip or across town cook is going to knock on my door. Huh, I just returned from a 4-day gathering a couple weeks ago, and as I write I'm thinking about completion of my next trip planning, to commence later this month. Keeps me on my toes, and I'm good at it...family appreciates the effort and good food we always turn out together...that's part of what keeps me going. Family reunions and one wedding (so far) have been my biggest challenges, and the experience they bring is welcomed...lots to learn along the way, and every event is different in numbers, meats, sides, venue type. It's fun and enjoyable for me to step up and accept these challenges.

You'll find an endless list of recipe shares and unique dishes/methods on SMF. If it's outdoor cooking related, curing, fermenting...someone here has probably done it. There are those times when you stumble into something you've never done before with food...I pretty much live for those moments, and I share them with everyone here...I hope you do the same, because the reading of someone's experiences is a great way to spark ideas.

Enjoy your time here on the forums, and don't forget your camera for posting Q-View when you turn out something noteworthy.

Eric

Last edited:
welcome1.gif

to SMF!

Glad to have you aboard!

Empty nester here too.

I still have a patio full of smokers & grills.

I just keep making the patio bigger.

Al

Welcome to the SMF crew!  I've picked up a lot of great stuff from this forum, the hardest part is remembering to take pictures to share with them!  It's of the utmost importance (after the flavor of course)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky