Heating Element

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 17, 2009
Helena, MT
Looking for an acceptable heating element for my fridge build. I found one similar to this, it is a 1500watt unit.
I plan on using a smoke daddy style generator for the smoke this will just be for the heat portion.
Will this work?

http://www.adclassix.com/images/67ge...ricskillet.jpg

The sides are lower than the one shown here, the controls go from 100* to 400*, the cord looks like it is listed as a heater cord. Just wondering if it will get the temps in teh fridge up in the 180* range for making sausage. The frige is probably 24"x24"x48" max (probably even smaller)

Keep in mind that the skillet you have there was not intended for the whole unite to be surrounded by the heat. If you have your smoker up say 225-250 degrees, the plastic control and rubber cord might melt?

There is a replacement element for I think the MES at Cabelas for 30 bucks I think. Granted, you would have to control the temp with something like a PID but might be worth looking into.

Got a UDS and a GOSM for high temp smokes. I plan on installing the fridge smoker in the shop and connecting the flue to the wood stove flue. This will just be for low temp smoking, mainly sausage, so I am thinking max temps around 180*.

Gotcha. Sometimes I don't read everything LOL. Seen that in your first post. I would think yeah for those temps, it should work.
I was just checking on ebay for something that would work as well. There are a couple listing for single burner elements. Only a few bucks. Might be of interest to check em out.

If you wanna check em out, here is a link.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sin...tove&_osacat=0

I started out thinking that the would work out almost perfect cause you would have a heating element and then a chip pan also. That would work great for sausage but then MH has some good points too. That unit really isnt made to have heat all around it either. Oh well keep on searching. Then I think I would go to the single hot plate like they had on E-bay but you can go to Walgreens and get one for 10 bucks.

Not discounting or arguing, but it is aluminum and the heat is actuall pretty intense on all sides of the unit, it is only $6 so I think I might give it a try, I was also thinking I could wire the controls to the outside of the fridge, not sure it can be done but I have wasted $6 on worse things.

I have a buddy who used an electric skillet and he had good luck with it. I think it is worth a try for what little investment you'll have in it. Plus you'll have a control. I have been using a Brinkmann conversion element with very good luck, temps up to 250, for 3 years. I've heard of others that have burned them up. So far it's been great. But you still have to come up with a control of some sort. That gets pricier.
71b943a1_vbattach23846.jpg

1c544311_vbattach23847.jpg

Auggie, I heard that this will work well also, but I think (to generator) means to smoke generator....I wish this post had how to hook this thing up just to be sure.

This was designed for the Bradley Smoker but it supposedly works fine without it. I am going to finish wiring it up over the next few days. I will let you know how it works out.

make sure you put a heat sink on your SSR realy, even 40+ amp realys are only good for a couple of amps without a heat sink to disapate the heat, i melted one down and almost had a small fire going one time.

mulepackin are you able to get to 250 without a problem ?  Been lookin @ this element for a build I need to make and just wonderin.

auggie im in the same boat once you get it going and figured out let me know how it works .

auggie im in the same boat once you get it going and figured out let me know how it works .

Not to burst your bubble, but that member hasn't posted anything in 4 years, so I don't think you'll get a response. The link he posted however is helpful. If you have a specific question i'll see what I can do to help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky