Heart Healthy Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
I will be adding to this thread as I go. I have purchased Marshall's Sausage seasoning ( https://www.pureandnaturalspices.com/product_p/sku16504.htm ) and received my Kitchenaid grinder attachment today, and will seek out boneless pork sirloin ends to make my own breakfast sausage patties! Photos to follow! This should be 98% lean, vs. 80% lean turkey sausages from Jimmy Dean, including skin and fat!
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG

Last edited:
Subscribed.
I've been wanting to make sausage for a while. Starting healthy (within reason) is probably wise.

The entire pork loin is relatively lean and generally less expensive as a whole piece then getting the blade roast, center cut chops, or sirloin roast portions at the market.
The meat lesson is for the readers, not for you Pops.

I wish you luck with the KitchenAid grinder. My wife has the plastic unit and I don't use it for meat. I use a metal hand crank passed down from my grandmother.

I started (my wife's) low sodium journey with this website many years ago.
http://www.megaheart.com/kit_recipes_index.html

Been using a KA grinder for about 15 years with no problems, will be watching to see how you like the seasoning

My KA grinder attachment is from the mid 80's and still works great. I usually grind 20 to 25 pounds of pork or beef at a time, and this takes less than 30 minutes for the grinding itself provided you have prepped and chilled your meat correctly. Here is a short VIDEO showing the KA grinder in action. Now, the KA sausage stuffer is junk, I wouldn't use it for a 5# batch of sausage.

I've had okay luck with using some loin meat in sausage, but it's usually a little drier. I'm guessing because in whole muscle form, the high-on-the-hog cuts are tender at 140°. Since ground meats require higher finishing temps, some moisture is lost. Are you open to alternate methods to keep your breakfast sausage moist?

The first thing that comes to mind is to smoke or bake it "fatty" style, in 1# chubs. Then slice and vacuum seal, so it can be simply reheated later. This method is more gentle than frying individual patties, and the slices stay moist. Another idea is to incorporate fresh ingredients like chopped onion, fresh garlic or bell pepper into the sausage. Powdered milk will hold moisture too. And lastly, mixing in some trimmed chicken thigh meat might be an experiment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky